Volume Integral of xy over Triangle Area

• Thread starter physicss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integals
In summary: Yesx and 2x-2You must learn to check your own work. For ##y = 2x - 2##, when ##x = 0##, ##y = -2##. That's clearly wrong. You should check both points you have lie on that line.
physicss
Homework Statement
Hello, the homework statement is: calculate the 2d volume integral over the area defined by the triangle with the vertices: (0,0), (0,1)
and (2,2).
of the function xy
Relevant Equations
(0,0), (0,1)
and (2,2).
My solution is 2. would that be correct? I did use double Integrals

Physics news on Phys.org
How about showing us your solution? Then we can tell you if it is correct and if not, where you went wrong.

kuruman said:
How about showing us your solution? Then we can tell you if it is correct and if not, where you went wrong.
∬(R) xy dA = ∫(0 to 2) ∫(0 to x) xy dy dx

= ∫(0 to 2) [x^2 y/2]_0^x dx

= ∫(0 to 2) (1/2) x^3 dx

(1/8) x^4 |_0^2

= (1/8) (2^4 - 0)= 2

See picture below for the triangle of interest. You need the equation for the line AB.

IntegrationTriangle.png

(Edited to fix the figure as pointed out in post #5.)

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The lower limit for ##y## is zero only when ##x\leq 1##. See picture below for the triangle of interest. You need the equation for the line AB.

View attachment 328334
Point A should be ##(0, 1)##, according to the OP.

Likes kuruman
Oops. I swapped coordinates in my head.

physicss said:
∬(R) xy dA = ∫(0 to 2) ∫(0 to x) xy dy dx
##x \in [0, 2], \ y \in [0, x]## represents the triangle with vertices ##(0,0), (2, 0), (2, 2)##.

PeroK said:
##x \in [0, 2], \ y \in [0, x]## represents the triangle with vertices ##(0,0), (2, 0), (2, 2)##.
could I also calculate it by forming a rectangle?

∫∫R xy dA = ∫∫S u(u+v) dudv
∫∫S u(u+v) dudv = ∫0^2 ∫0^1 u(u+v) dvdu
= ∫0^2 [(u^2v/2) + (uv^2/2)]_0^1 du
= ∫0^2 (u^2/2 + u/2) du
= [(u^3/6) + (u^2/4)]_0^2
= 2.

physicss said:
could I also calculate it by forming a rectangle?

∫∫R xy dA = ∫∫S u(u+v) dudv
∫∫S u(u+v) dudv = ∫0^2 ∫0^1 u(u+v) dvdu
= ∫0^2 [(u^2v/2) + (uv^2/2)]_0^1 du
= ∫0^2 (u^2/2 + u/2) du
= [(u^3/6) + (u^2/4)]_0^2
= 2.
I've no idea what you are doing there. You need to sort out the correct bounds for your integral.

PS the answer is not 2.

PeroK said:
PS the answer is not 2.
Hello, I recalculated it ( in a shorter way). I still get 2:

∫(0 to 2) (∫(0 to y) xy dx) dy = ∫(0 to 2) (y^3)/2 dy =2

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance

physicss said:

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance
Your bounds are still wrong. You are including the area above the line AB in post #4.
For a given x, what is the range of y within the triangle?

physicss said:

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance
Now you've integrated over the triangle with vertices at ##(0,0), (0, 2), (2, 2)## .

Use the figure given by @kuruman

kuruman said:
See picture below for the triangle of interest. You need the equation for the line AB.

integrationtriangle-png.png

(Edited to fix the figure as pointed out in post #5.)
What is the equation of the line passing through O and B ?

What is the equation of the line passing through A and B ?

Likes PeroK and berkeman
SammyS said:
Now you've integrated over the triangle with vertices at ##(0,0), (0, 2), (2, 2)## .

Use the figure given by @kurumanWhat is the equation of the line passing through O and B ?

What is the equation of the line passing through A and B ?
x and 2x-2

physicss said:
2x-2
y=2x-2? No. Try plotting that on the figure... :wink:

berkeman said:
y=2x-2? No. Try plotting that on the figure... :wink:
Thanks, while writing down I swapped x and y. 0.5x+1 is AB

Likes berkeman
Great. So how does that change your integrals? :smile:

berkeman said:
Great. So how does that change your integrals? :smile:
the inner integral has to go from x to 0.5x+1 xy dy and the outer from 0 to 2 dx I guess?

physicss said:
the inner integral has to go from x to 0.5x+1 xy dy and the outer from 0 to 2 dx I guess?
Yes

physicss said:
x and 2x-2
You must learn to check your own work. For ##y = 2x - 2##, when ##x = 0##, ##y = -2##. That's clearly wrong. You should check both points you have lie on that line.

What is the definition of volume integral of xy over triangle area?

The volume integral of xy over triangle area is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape bounded by a triangular region. It involves integrating the product of the function xy over the triangular region in three-dimensional space.

What is the formula for calculating volume integral of xy over triangle area?

The formula for calculating volume integral of xy over triangle area is ∫∫∫ xy dV, where the limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the triangular region in three-dimensional space.

What is the significance of volume integral of xy over triangle area in real-world applications?

The volume integral of xy over triangle area has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can be used to calculate the volume of a solid object with a triangular base, such as a pyramid or a prism. It is also used in fluid mechanics to calculate the volume of a fluid flowing through a triangular cross-section.

How is the volume integral of xy over triangle area related to other mathematical concepts?

The volume integral of xy over triangle area is closely related to double and triple integrals in multivariable calculus. It is also connected to the concept of surface area in three-dimensional space, as the triangular region can be thought of as a surface that is being "swept" through space to create a solid shape.

What are some tips for solving problems involving volume integral of xy over triangle area?

Some tips for solving problems involving volume integral of xy over triangle area include visualizing the triangular region in three-dimensional space, choosing appropriate limits of integration, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts if necessary. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic calculus concepts, such as integration and limits.