Volume of a rectangle by cross-sections

In summary, the volume of a rectangular prism with the same square base and height will be different from a pyramid using the method of slicing. The volume of a rectangular prism can be calculated as the area of the base times the height, while the volume of a pyramid can be calculated as one-third of the base area times the height.
brushman

Homework Statement

There is no specific problem, I'm just confused after reading the chapter.

Consider a pyramid 3 m high with a square base that is 3 m on a side. The cross section of the pyramid perpendicular to the altidude x m down from the vertex is a square x m on a side.

Now I understand the volume is,

[tex]
\int_{a}^{b} A(x) dx = \int_{0}^{3} x^2 dx = 9
[/tex]

but then I get confused. How would the volume of a rectangle with the same square base, using the same method, be any different?

edit: Thanks, it makes much more sense to me now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, there is no such thing as the "volume of a rectangle." If you mean a rectangular prism, then the volume will be different. A rectangular prism with the same square base and height would have a volume of 27 cubic units.

[tex] V_{rectangular \ prism} = bh. [/tex]
[tex] V_{pyramid} = \frac{bh}{3}. [/tex]

(where b = area of base)

Thanks Rasko. Indeed I meant rectangular prism.

I know that the volume of a rectangular prism is just the area of the base times height, but I'd like to know the volume by the method of slicing such as in my example. That way, I can compare the two to help my understanding.

In the pyramid integration, x varies from 0 to 3. However, each cross section of a rectangular prism has the same base. So you would have instead:

[tex] \int_0^3 (3)^2 dx [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections?

The formula for finding the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections is A x h, where A is the area of the base and h is the height of the cross-section.

2. What is a cross-section in relation to the volume of a rectangle?

A cross-section is a 2-dimensional shape that is created by slicing through a 3-dimensional object, such as a rectangle. It is used to calculate the volume of the object.

3. Why is it important to calculate the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections?

Calculating the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections allows us to find the amount of space that an object occupies. This can be useful in various fields of science, such as engineering and architecture, to determine the capacity or size of a structure.

4. How do you find the area of the base when calculating the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections?

The area of the base can be found by multiplying the length and width of the rectangle. This can also be done using the formula A = l x w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

5. Can the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections be calculated for irregular shapes?

Yes, the volume of a rectangle by cross-sections can be calculated for irregular shapes. However, it may require breaking the shape down into smaller, regular shapes and calculating the volume for each section before adding them together.