1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a rectangle by cross-sections

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is no specific problem, I'm just confused after reading the chapter.

Consider a pyramid 3 m high with a square base that is 3 m on a side. The cross section of the pyramid perpendicular to the altidude x m down from the vertex is a square x m on a side.

Now I understand the volume is,

\int_{a}^{b} A(x) dx = \int_{0}^{3} x^2 dx = 9

but then I get confused. How would the volume of a rectangle with the same square base, using the same method, be any different?

edit: Thanks, it makes much more sense to me now.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    First of all, there is no such thing as the "volume of a rectangle." If you mean a rectangular prism, then the volume will be different. A rectangular prism with the same square base and height would have a volume of 27 cubic units.

[tex] V_{rectangular \ prism} = bh. [/tex]
    [tex] V_{pyramid} = \frac{bh}{3}. [/tex]

(where b = area of base)
  4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    Thanks Rasko. Indeed I meant rectangular prism.

I know that the volume of a rectangular prism is just the area of the base times height, but I'd like to know the volume by the method of slicing such as in my example. That way, I can compare the two to help my understanding.
  5. Aug 29, 2010 #4
    In the pyramid integration, x varies from 0 to 3. However, each cross section of a rectangular prism has the same base. So you would have instead:

[tex] \int_0^3 (3)^2 dx [/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook