Setting Up Integrals to Find Volume of Solid Rotated Around Region R

In summary, the method used to set up the integrals for finding the volume of the solid generated by rotating region R around different axes involves using cylindrical shells and the limits of integration depend on the axis of rotation and the boundaries of the region R. The integral setup for each axis may vary, but the concept remains the same.
johnq2k7
Indicate the method you use to set up the integrals (do not integrate) that give the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region R around:

The region R is bounded by the curves y=x, x= 2-y^2 and y=0

i.) the x-axis
ii.) the y-axis
iii.) the line x= -2
iv.) the line y= 1

work shown:

y=x ,

x= 2- y^2
y= sqrt(2-x)

i.) integral of Pi*[(x)- (sqrt(2-x))] dx as x goes from 0 to 1

ii.) integral of 2*Pi*x*[(x)-sqrt(2-x)]dx as y goes from 0 to 1

iii.) integral of 2*Pi*(-2-x)*[(x)-(sqrt(2-x))]dx as x goes from 0 to 1

iv.) integral of Pi*[(x-1)-(sqrt(2-x-1)]dx as y goes from 0 to 1

I think my definite integral limits are wrong... and in general my integral setup is wrong.. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
!

I would use the method of cylindrical shells to set up the integrals for finding the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region R around different axes. This method involves integrating the product of the circumference of a cylindrical shell and its height, which represents the volume of the shell. The limits of integration would depend on the axis of rotation and the boundaries of the region R.

i.) For rotating around the x-axis, the limits of integration would be from 0 to 1, since 1 is the highest point of the curve x=2-y^2. The radius of the shell would be x, and the height would be the distance between the curves y=x and x=2-y^2, which is (2-x)-x = 2-2x. Therefore, the integral would be:

V = 2π∫(x)(2-2x)dx from 0 to 1

ii.) For rotating around the y-axis, the limits of integration would be from 0 to 2, since 2 is the highest point of the curve x=2-y^2. The radius of the shell would be y, and the height would be the distance between the curves y=x and x=0, which is x = 2-y^2. Therefore, the integral would be:

V = 2π∫(y)(2-y^2)dy from 0 to 2

iii.) For rotating around the line x=-2, the limits of integration would be from -2 to 0, since 0 is the highest point of the curve y=x. The radius of the shell would be (x+2), and the height would be the distance between the curves y=x and x=2-y^2, which is (2-x)-x = 2-2x. Therefore, the integral would be:

V = 2π∫(x+2)(2-2x)dx from -2 to 0

iv.) For rotating around the line y=1, the limits of integration would be from 0 to 1, since 1 is the highest point of the curve x=2-y^2. The radius of the shell would be (1-y), and the height would be the distance between the curves y=x and x=0, which is x = 2-y^2. Therefore, the integral would be:

V

Related to Setting Up Integrals to Find Volume of Solid Rotated Around Region R

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated around a region R?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated around a region R is V = ∫π(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) represents the radius of the cross-section at a given point on the x-axis.

How do I determine the limits of integration for setting up the integral?

The limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the region R. If the region is bounded by two curves, the limits will be the x-values where the curves intersect. If the region is bounded by a line and a curve, the limits will be the x-values where the curve crosses the line.

Do I need to use the washer or shell method to set up the integral?

The choice between the washer or shell method depends on the shape of the solid and the axis of rotation. If the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the axis of integration, the washer method is used. If the axis of rotation is parallel to the axis of integration, the shell method is used.

Can I use this method to find the volume of any solid?

No, this method can only be used to find the volume of solids that are rotated around a region R. If the solid is not rotated or rotated around a different axis, a different method must be used to find the volume.

How can I check if my setup of the integral is correct?

You can check your setup of the integral by comparing it to the formula V = ∫π(R(x))^2 dx and by visualizing the solid and its cross-sections. Additionally, you can calculate the volume using both the washer and shell methods and see if you get the same result.