Volume of Solid Rotated About x=3, Region Bounded by x=1-y^4, x=0

The volume, in that case, would be:V=\pi \int_0^1 (3^2-(1-y^4)^2)dy= \pi \int_0^1 (9-1+2y^4-y^8)dy = \pi \int_0^1 (8+2y^4-y^8)dy This is a polynomial, so it's very easy to integrate. In summary, the volume of the resulting solid is \frac{8\pi}{45} units cubed.
ProBasket
The region bounded by [tex]x = 1- y^4, x=0 [/tex] is rotate about the line [tex] x = 3 [/tex] The volume of the resulting solid is ...

here's what i done:
[tex]x = 1- y^4 [/tex] in terms of y => [tex] y = (1-x)^{1/4}[/tex]

my integral:
[tex]\int_0^{1} 2*pi*(3-x)(1-x)^{1/4}[/tex]

anyone know what i have done incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
ProBasket said:
The region bounded by [tex]x = 1- y^4, x=0 [/tex] is rotate about the line [tex] x = 3 [/tex] The volume of the resulting solid is ...

here's what i done:

my integral:

This is a hollow body, you have to subtract the volume of the body with radius r = 3- x(y) in the picture from that of the cylinder of radius R=3. And integrate with respect to y as the rotational angle is parallel to the y axis.

[tex]V=\pi \int_{-1}^1 {(3^2-r^2)dy} [/tex]

ehild

Last edited:
ProBasket said:

here's what i done:

my integral:

Normally, either the shell method or the washer method will work. In this case, you're going to have some problems with [tex] (1-x)^{\frac{1}{4}}[/tex].

It's not a function since an even root has both a positive and negative root. For example:

[tex]\sqrt {1-.84}= \pm .4[/tex]

Without the bottom half of the graph, you can't find the volume. You could compensate just by finding the volume of the region bounded by x=(1-x)^(1/4), x=0, y=0, and then multiplying by two.

It would be easier to just to use the washer method, as ehild suggested.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated about x=3?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated about x=3 is V = π∫(upper limit)(lower limit) (x-3)^2 dx.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for this region?

The limits of integration for this region can be determined by setting the given equations equal to each other and solving for the y-values. In this case, we would set x=1-y^4 and x=0, which gives us the limits of y=-1 and y=1.

3. Can I use any other method to find the volume, instead of integration?

Yes, there are other methods such as the disk method or the shell method that can also be used to find the volume of a solid rotated about a specific axis. However, integration is the most commonly used method for this type of problem.

4. How do I know if the solid is above or below the x-axis?

To determine if the solid is above or below the x-axis, we can look at the given equations. In this case, x=1-y^4 is always above the x-axis, while x=0 is on the x-axis. This means that the solid is entirely above the x-axis.

5. Is it necessary to use the region bounded by x=1-y^4 and x=0, or can I use any other region?

The region bounded by x=1-y^4 and x=0 is necessary for finding the volume using this specific method. Other methods may require different regions, but for this particular problem, these boundaries are necessary for accurate calculations.