Volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane

In summary: Volume. Edited accordingly.Well, you will have ##a<1## (since it's a unit sphere) so you will want to go the other way around; but, yes, what you are proposing should work. If you give a try and get stuck, show your work in lots of detail and we'll be able to help more.The height of the segment is r-a. Your expression of the height, r - (r - a), equates to just a.Obviously a must be between -1 and 1. It is sufficient to assume that 0\le a\le 1 and calculate the volume above z= a and below the sphere. (Of course, the volume of the entire sphere
ParoxysmX

Homework Statement

Consider the unit sphere [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} = 1[/itex]

Find the volume of the two pieces of the sphere when the sphere is cut by a plane at [itex]z=a[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My interpretation is that [itex]a[/itex] is a point on the z-axis that the plane cuts at. So the height of the segment is [itex]r-(r-a)[/itex]. After that, I'm not sure how to proceed. Should you somehow integrate the volume of the segment between [itex]r=1[/itex] and [itex]r=a[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Volume or area? You say volume in the title and area in the question.

LastOneStanding said:
Volume or area? You say volume in the title and area in the question.

Volume. Edited accordingly.

ParoxysmX said:
My interpretation is that [itex]a[/itex] is a point on the z-axis that the plane cuts at. So the height of the segment is [itex]r-(r-a)[/itex]. After that, I'm not sure how to proceed. Should you somehow integrate the volume of the segment between [itex]r=1[/itex] and [itex]r=a[/itex]?

Well, you will have ##a<1## (since it's a unit sphere) so you will want to go the other way around; but, yes, what you are proposing should work. If you give a try and get stuck, show your work in lots of detail and we'll be able to help more.

The height of the segment is r-a. Your expression of the height, r - (r - a), equates to just a.

Obviously a must be between -1 and 1. It is sufficient to assume that [itex]0\le a\le 1[/itex] and calculate the volume above z= a and below the sphere. (Of course, the volume of the entire sphere is [itex](4/3)\pi[/itex] so the volume low z= a is [itex](4/3)\pi[/itex] minus the volume above. And if a< 0, just flip it over.)

In cylindrical coordinates the base is given by [itex]r^2+ a^2= 1[/itex] so the cover that base r goes from 0 to [itex]1- a^2[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. For each r and [itex]\theta[/itex], the height is [itex]z- a= \sqrt{1- r^2}- a[/itex]

Ok I believe I have that one figured out. The next problem now is to calculate the surface area of those segments using spherical coordinates. I'm told the formula [itex]S = \int^{b}_{\phi=a}\int^{d}_{\theta=c} sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/itex] should be used. What are a, b, c and d here?

What is the formula for calculating the volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane?

The formula for calculating the volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane is V = (1/6)πh(3a^2 + h^2), where V is the volume, h is the height of the cut, and a is the radius of the sphere.

How is the volume of a sphere affected by the angle of the cut?

The volume of a sphere is affected by the angle of the cut. As the angle increases, the volume of the two pieces also increases. When the angle is 90 degrees, the volume of the two pieces is equal to the volume of the entire sphere.

Can the volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane be negative?

No, the volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane cannot be negative. The volume is always a positive value, representing the amount of space occupied by the two pieces.

What is the relationship between the volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane and the radius of the sphere?

The volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane is directly proportional to the cube of the radius of the sphere. This means that as the radius increases, the volume also increases.

How can the volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane be visualized?

The volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane can be visualized as the difference between two spherical caps. Imagine cutting a sphere in half and then taking out a smaller spherical cap from each half. The remaining pieces represent the two pieces of the sphere cut by a plane, and the volume is the space between them.