1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of two pieces of a sphere cut by a plane

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the unit sphere [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} = 1[/itex]

Find the volume of the two pieces of the sphere when the sphere is cut by a plane at [itex]z=a[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

My interpretation is that [itex]a[/itex] is a point on the z-axis that the plane cuts at. So the height of the segment is [itex]r-(r-a)[/itex]. After that, I'm not sure how to proceed. Should you somehow integrate the volume of the segment between [itex]r=1[/itex] and [itex]r=a[/itex]?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2
    Volume or area? You say volume in the title and area in the question.

4. May 9, 2013 #3
    Volume. Edited accordingly.

5. May 9, 2013 #4
    Well, you will have ##a<1## (since it's a unit sphere) so you will want to go the other way around; but, yes, what you are proposing should work. If you give a try and get stuck, show your work in lots of detail and we'll be able to help more.

6. May 9, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The height of the segment is r-a. Your expression of the height, r - (r - a), equates to just a.

7. May 9, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Obviously a must be between -1 and 1. It is sufficient to assume that [itex]0\le a\le 1[/itex] and calculate the volume above z= a and below the sphere. (Of course, the volume of the entire sphere is [itex](4/3)\pi[/itex] so the volume low z= a is [itex](4/3)\pi[/itex] minus the volume above. And if a< 0, just flip it over.)

In cylindrical coordinates the base is given by [itex]r^2+ a^2= 1[/itex] so the cover that base r goes from 0 to [itex]1- a^2[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. For each r and [itex]\theta[/itex], the height is [itex]z- a= \sqrt{1- r^2}- a[/itex]

8. May 14, 2013 #7
    Ok I believe I have that one figured out. The next problem now is to calculate the surface area of those segments using spherical coordinates. I'm told the formula [itex]S = \int^{b}_{\phi=a}\int^{d}_{\theta=c} sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/itex] should be used. What are a, b, c and d here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted