1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of

1. May 9, 2005 #1
    Can anybody help me find the volume y=sinx, bounded by the y axis, and the line y=1. The axis of revolution is the line y=1.

I tried so many times and I cant find the correct answer, in the sheet it says (pie^2)/2 - 2pie

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What method are you using, and what are you integrating?

4. May 9, 2005 #3
    [int a=0 b=1] pie(arcsiny)^2 dy

disk method.

5. May 9, 2005 #4
    I don't know if I did good, cause I'm uncapable of integrating it. :cry:

6. May 9, 2005 #5
    try cylindrical shell method

7. May 9, 2005 #6
    In my paper it says use disk method. :cry:

8. May 10, 2005 #7

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you are looking at it right. As I see it, the radius of a disk centered on the axis of rotation is 1 - sin x and the thickness of the disk is dx. The integral runs from the y-axis (x = 0) to the value of x at the intersection of y = 1 with y = sin x.

9. May 10, 2005 #8
    I was thinking the same thing, and maybe it's just me, but if you finish integrating that, won't you get an answer that's off somewhat? (I think by about +[tex]\textstyle{\frac{\pi^2}{4}}[/tex], otherwise I'm totally and utterly wrong :yuck: )
    cmab, can you doublecheck that answer that your book states?

Last edited: May 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?