Calculating Volume for Non-Intersecting Surfaces Using Triple Integral

In summary, the problem is finding the volume of the region above the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=4 and below the paraboloid z = 6-x^2- y^2. The two surfaces do not intersect, making the volume region ambiguous. The region is interpreted as the area bounded by the equator of the sphere and the paraboloid. The integral is evaluated using cylindrical coordinate system, but the result does not match the solution guide. It is possible that the problem itself is poorly constructed, as there could be multiple interpretations of the region in question.
danago
Gold Member
Find the volume of the region above the sphere [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=4[/tex] and below the
paraboloid [tex]z = 6-x^2- y^2[/tex].

Ok so the first thing i did was to find out if the two surfaces ever intersect by substituting [tex]x^2+y^2=6-z[/tex] into the first equation and solving for z. I got only complex solutions, hence they never intersect.

If i am picturing the region correctly, i am dealing with the volume of a region who's base is bounded by the equator of the sphere, all the way up to the paraboloid.

My initial thought was to use a cylindrical coordinate system. If i have set up my bounds correctly, the integral i would need to evaluate would be:

[tex]V=\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{2}_{0}\int^{6-r^2}_{\sqrt{4-r^2}}dz\:r\:dr\: d\theta=\frac{32\pi}{3}[/tex]

However, according to the solutions, the answer is [tex]\frac{2\pi}{3} (28-3\pi)[/tex]. I am sure that i evaluated my integral correctly because i checked it with Mathematica, but i just can't seem to get the same answer as the solution guide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. Furthermore, I can't even think of reasonable related question that would end up with a pi squared in the answer, as they have.

Ok that's good then :smile: I think i found how the books solution came about; If the integration is carried out with the same bounds, but with [tex]dV =dz dr d\theta[/tex] i.e. without the 'r', then the solution is as they stated.

Are you sure you've given us the right problem?
Find the volume of the region above the sphere [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=4[/itex]
and below the
paraboloid [itex]z = 6-x^2- y^2[/itex].

Ok so the first thing i did was to find out if the two surfaces ever intersect by substituting into the first equation and solving for z. I got only complex solutions, hence they never intersect.

If i am picturing the region correctly, i am dealing with the volume of a region who's base is bounded by the equator of the sphere, all the way up to the paraboloid.
It's disconcerting to me that the two surfaces don't intersect, since that makes the volume region ambiguous. You have arbitrarily chosen to take "above the sphere" to mean "from its equator up." I think one could reasonably interpret "above the sphere" to mean from the top of its north pole up to the paraboloid. If the two surfaces intersected, then the region bounded by them would be nonambiguous.

If you have given us the problem exactly as worded in your book, then maybe the problem itself is poorly constructed.

Yea that's exactly as it was stated.

I do see what you mean and i understand how it can be interpreted in more than 1 way, but the way i did it just seemed most natural to me. I didnt really even give it a second thought when interpreting it, though maybe i should have.

1. What is a volume triple integral?

A volume triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region in space.

2. How is a volume triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral, also known as a single integral, deals with finding the area under a curve on a two-dimensional plane. A volume triple integral extends this concept to three dimensions, finding the volume of a solid object instead of just the area under a curve.

3. What is the formula for a volume triple integral?

The formula for a volume triple integral is ∭f(x,y,z) dx dy dz, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dx dy dz represents the infinitesimal changes in x, y, and z over the three-dimensional region being integrated.

4. How is a volume triple integral used in real-world applications?

Volume triple integrals are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate the volume of three-dimensional objects. They can also be used to find the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of an object.

5. What are some techniques for solving a volume triple integral?

There are several techniques for solving a volume triple integral, including using Cartesian, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates. Other methods, such as the change of variables or the divergence theorem, can also be used to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.