1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume versus temperature

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Many automobile engines have cast-iron cylinders and aluminium pistons. What kinds of problems could occur if the engine gets too hot? (The coefficient of volume expansion of cast-iron is approximately the same as that of steel.)

2. Relevant equations

Relation of volume to temperature

3. The attempt at a solution

The coefficient of volume expansion of steel is 4.8*10-5(C°)-1. I don't see the relevance here of this numerical value. Do you?

The problems I could come up with:

1. The cylinders and pistons would expand and frictional forces would act between the cylinders and the pistons. This would lead to a slower rate of speed of the automobile for a given rate of fuel consumption.

2. Any others???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If there is too much friction, what will happen to the temperature of the pistons and hence what can happen to its diameter?

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    How will each expand?
    Look at the values of the Coefficients of Thermal Expansion in the table of the website
    http://physics.info/expansion/
    Why do piston rings have a gap in them?
    The website talks about Concorde, I once read that the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird dripped fuel on the runway and only after heating up and expanding was it fuel tank sealed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook