Volumes of n-Spheres: Intuition & Calculations

• I
  • Thread starter martix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of higher dimensions and how to calculate the volume of a 4-dimensional sphere. The main points discussed were the relationship between the surface area and volume of a sphere in different dimensions, the concept of hypervolume, and the use of differential geometry in calculations. The conversation also questioned the validity of using a step-based method for calculating the volume of a higher dimensional sphere and highlighted the potential flaws in this approach.
martix
I'm trying to wrap my head around how higher dimensions work. Not over some academic pursuit, merely curiosity(which started with me discovering this neat recurrence relation).

Given that the surface area of a sphere is an object of 1 dimension lower.
So on a 3-sphere, the surface area is a plane and is measured in say m2.
Then for a 4-sphere, the surface area is a 3-dimensional sphere with a volume measured in m3.

Then I thought a bit about volumes of higher dimensional spheres before realizing hypervolume doesn't mean the same as normal cubic volume, throwing any intuition as what it is(let alone how big it is) out the window.

However, in a 4-sphere, one can imagine taking slices at equal steps and obtaining a multitude of concentric 4-spheres, each of which has a "surface area" with a regular 3-dimensional volume.

So if you define a step, using this method you get a meaningful answer for "What is a the 3d volume of a 4-sphere with radius r?"

Say,
S(step) = 0.2u (as in units)
V4 = A4(u) + A4(0.8u) + A4(0.6u) + A4(0.4u) + A4(0.2u)
Or ~41.22u3 if my calculations are correct.

Does this even make sense? If no, why not?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,

How do you get 41.22 ?

What do you get with steps of 0.1 ? 0.01 ? 0.001 ?

Would it work for the 2d circumference of a 3d sphere ?

Why not simply differentiate ##{\pi^2\over 2}R^4## to get ##2\pi^2 R^3## ?

1. Via the recurrence relation. I translated it to python, just to check if it works, then in C#, and ran it for all those values. I confirmed its correctness with normal 3d spheres.
2. 0.1 -> V ~ 66.67; 0.01 -> V ~ 539.63; 0.001 -> V ~ 5276.96 (also, actually, with proper rounding and a step of 0.2 it's V ~ 44.23)
3. Not sure what you mean. The 2d part of a 3d sphere is a surface, not a scalar(circumference). But I don't see why not - you'd get a bunch of concentric normal spheres, each with a surface area, which you can sum to get a surface area of the sphere based on the step you chose. It's how I came up with the idea originally.
4. I did not make the connection... I'm still not sure how it fits. But with that formula, a 4d unit sphere has cubic volume of ~19.74 u3, though I have no idea how it fits anywhere.

1. if you don't show the steps in detail we have no idea what you do.
2. something that depends on a stepsize isn't sensible
3. Sorry I meant 2d area of 3d volume (same thing as 3d volume of 4d sphere but one step down)
martix said:
though I have no idea how it fits anywhere
If you do it right you get the volume of the shell of the 4d hypervolume .

1. I guess I could have been clearer in expressing them.
2. Not sensible as in pointless or doesn't make logical sense?

martix said:
I'm trying to wrap my head around how higher dimensions work. Not over some academic pursuit, merely curiosity(which started with me discovering this neat recurrence relation).

Given that the surface area of a sphere is an object of 1 dimension lower.
So on a 3-sphere, the surface area is a plane and is measured in say m2.
Then for a 4-sphere, the surface area is a 3-dimensional sphere with a volume measured in m3.

Then I thought a bit about volumes of higher dimensional spheres before realizing hypervolume doesn't mean the same as normal cubic volume, throwing any intuition as what it is(let alone how big it is) out the window.

However, in a 4-sphere, one can imagine taking slices at equal steps and obtaining a multitude of concentric 4-spheres, each of which has a "surface area" with a regular 3-dimensional volume.

So if you define a step, using this method you get a meaningful answer for "What is a the 3d volume of a 4-sphere with radius r?"

Say,
S(step) = 0.2u (as in units)
V4 = A4(u) + A4(0.8u) + A4(0.6u) + A4(0.4u) + A4(0.2u)
Or ~41.22u3 if my calculations are correct.

Does this even make sense? If no, why not?
Sorry to nitpick:
. But in 4 dimensions, the boundary being one dimension lower does not mean it is a plane, nor even planar ( embeddable or contained-within a plane) .

Hey martix.

Have you thought about using differential geometry to do this?

What you can do is find a way to go from a n-sphere to an n-box and do standard integration in so many dimensions.

The other alternative [which is probably going to be more feasible] is to use the wedge product definition of area.

A differential geometry book should contain the basic ideas in terms of wedge products and norms / inner products on those.

No, I hadn't thought of that. It's a little beyond me ATM. In a year maybe.

Also, evidently I was wrong.
The correct answer my initial series of calculations should be ~35.53 u3
V = A(u, 3) + A(0.8u, 3) + A(0.6u, 3) + A(0.4u, 3) + A(0.2u, 3)
(I was using A(u, 4), which is the 4-dimensional "surface area" of a 5-sphere.)

martix said:
Also, evidently I was wrong.
You don't seem to realize where the real problem is.
If you perform your slicing process on a sphere, you get a 2D "area". Can you imagine where the slices are located in the sphere, and what, if any, relation your result has to the surface and volume of a 3D sphere?

1. What is an n-sphere?

An n-sphere is a mathematical term used to describe a geometric shape in n-dimensional space. It is essentially a higher dimensional version of a sphere in three-dimensional space. An n-sphere can be defined as the set of all points that are a fixed distance (known as the radius) from a central point in n-dimensional space.

2. How is the volume of an n-sphere calculated?

The volume of an n-sphere can be calculated using the formula V = (π^(n/2) * r^n) / Γ(n/2+1), where r is the radius and Γ is the gamma function. This formula is derived from the mathematical concept of integration and can be used for any value of n, including non-integer values.

3. What is the intuition behind the volume formula for n-spheres?

The volume formula for n-spheres can be understood by breaking down the shape into smaller and smaller concentric shells. As the number of shells increases, their thickness decreases, and the shape becomes more and more similar to a solid sphere. The formula takes into account the increasing number of shells as n increases, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the volume.

4. Can the volume of an n-sphere be visualized?

It can be challenging to visualize the volume of an n-sphere, especially for values of n greater than 3. However, the concept of the n-sphere can be understood by thinking about lower-dimensional analogues. For example, a 2-sphere can be visualized as a circle, and a 3-sphere can be thought of as a sphere in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some real-world applications of n-spheres?

N-spheres have many applications in mathematics and physics, including in the study of high-dimensional spaces and in the calculation of probabilities in higher dimensions. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth, curved surfaces. Additionally, n-spheres have applications in engineering, such as in the design of satellite orbits and in the analysis of complex systems.