1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vrms for offset sine wave

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rms voltage for a sine wave with zero offset is given by Vrms= 1/(√2)Vpeak. Calculate the rms voltage for a sine wave with a peak-to-peak voltage of 1V.

2. Relevant equations
    Vpeak-to-peak=2Vpeak

3. The attempt at a solution
    This may be a really easy question with an answer of (√2)/4 but i wasn't sure if you could use the equation Vpeak-to-peak=2Vpeak with an offset in the sine wave.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Ardec, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your answer will depend upon what you mean by an "offset". Usually an offset means that there is a DC component added to the signal, so for example a sinewave riding on a DC value. This has the effect of shifting the sinewave up or down from the 0V level. But taking the problem as stated you simply have a sinewave with a peak voltage of 1/2 V, no offset. So can you explain what you mean by offset?

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3
    I miss read the question and correct myself the second after i posted this, there is no offset, and i didn't see a way to delete the thread. Thanks anyways for the answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted