Calculating Air Column Height in a Glass Pipe with Water (105 kPa Pressure)

In summary, the problem is to determine the height of the air column in a 1 meter long glass pipe filled with water and turned 180° around a horizontal axis. The air pressure is 105 kPa and the pipe is open on both sides. To solve this, the capillary force must be added to the 0.5 meter length of the pipe, but the radius is needed for this calculation. Additionally, the pressure of the water in the pipe and the air pressure must be taken into account. The air in the pipe may be compressed due to the pressure. Assistance is needed in solving this problem without providing calculations.
Montana
Water in a glass pipe (pressure and volume)

Hi,
I have the following problem:we have a 1 meter long, thin glass pipe. It is open on both sides, we put that pipe 0,5 meters into a container filled with water. After that, we close the upper end which stucks out of the water, now we turn that pipe 180° around a horizontal axis, the air pressure is 105 kPa. Now I have to ascertain the height of the air column in the pipe.

I have the following ideas: first when we put the pipe into the water we have to add to the 0,5 meter the capillary force, I have an equation for that, but unfortunately I need the radius to calculate that. I guess I have to eliminate it somehow.
Now I have that water and when I turn the pipe arround I have to add the pressure of the water in the pipe (which is density of water*heigt*g) and the air pressure.
My suspicion is that the air in the pipe is pressed together a little bit because of that pressure. And that's all to it I imagine. But I have problems during calculation, because I can't get the radius out of my equations.

So I hope that anybody can help me, but PLEASE don't calculate anything in your answer (as far as possible) just give me a hint, because I want to solve it by myself (maybe later on I ask you to calculate something, but only if I'm completely exhausted Wink )
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does really nobody has an idea ?

1. How do you calculate the air column height in a glass pipe with water under 105 kPa pressure?

To calculate the air column height, you will need to use the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in kilopascals (kPa), ρ is the density of water (1000 kg/m3), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and h is the height of the air column in meters. Rearrange the equation to solve for h, and then plug in the given pressure of 105 kPa to calculate the height of the air column.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the air column height in a glass pipe with water under 105 kPa pressure?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the amount of air above the water level in a glass pipe, which can be used to measure the pressure of the air trapped inside the pipe. This can be useful in various scientific experiments and industrial processes.

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of pipe or only for glass pipes?

This calculation can be used for any type of pipe as long as it is filled with water and has a closed end. The material of the pipe does not affect the calculation as long as it does not compress or expand under pressure.

4. How does the air column height change if the pressure is increased or decreased?

The air column height is directly proportional to the pressure. This means that as the pressure increases, the air column height also increases, and vice versa. For example, if the pressure is doubled to 210 kPa, the air column height will also double.

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation?

Yes, there are some limitations to this calculation. It assumes that the air trapped in the pipe is at the same temperature as the surrounding air, and that the air and water are in equilibrium. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of air pressure from external sources, such as atmospheric pressure, on the air column height.