1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water spray from a pipe hole

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How far will water shoot from a hole in a pipe knowing the pipe pressure, hole size, and exit liquid velocity and flow rate. It is assumed that the hole is located such that the water is sprayed at a 45 deg angle from the horizontal.

2. Relevant equations
    Basic projectile motion equations (i.e. equations used to calculate how far a ball is thrown etc).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated the horizontal displacement using projectile motion equations, however this provides a very high horizontal displacement and does not take into account air resistance, liquid forming droplets / spray / mist. Is there another method in which to approximate how far a liquid will spray? I am not confident in the projectile motion equations providing a ballpark approximation figure for liquid spray.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2
    Why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted