• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Water spray from a pipe hole

Homework Statement

How far will water shoot from a hole in a pipe knowing the pipe pressure, hole size, and exit liquid velocity and flow rate. It is assumed that the hole is located such that the water is sprayed at a 45 deg angle from the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Basic projectile motion equations (i.e. equations used to calculate how far a ball is thrown etc).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the horizontal displacement using projectile motion equations, however this provides a very high horizontal displacement and does not take into account air resistance, liquid forming droplets / spray / mist. Is there another method in which to approximate how far a liquid will spray? I am not confident in the projectile motion equations providing a ballpark approximation figure for liquid spray.

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

How far will water shoot from a hole in a pipe knowing the pipe pressure, hole size, and exit liquid velocity and flow rate. It is assumed that the hole is located such that the water is sprayed at a 45 deg angle from the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Basic projectile motion equations (i.e. equations used to calculate how far a ball is thrown etc).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the horizontal displacement using projectile motion equations, however this provides a very high horizontal displacement and does not take into account air resistance, liquid forming droplets / spray / mist. Is there another method in which to approximate how far a liquid will spray? I am not confident in the projectile motion equations providing a ballpark approximation figure for liquid spray.
Why not?