Water spray from a pipe hole

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the distance water will shoot from a hole in a pipe, taking into account factors such as pipe pressure, hole size, and liquid velocity and flow rate. The use of basic projectile motion equations to approximate the distance is mentioned, but it is noted that these equations do not account for factors such as air resistance and liquid formation. The person is seeking another method to calculate the distance and expresses doubt in the accuracy of the projectile motion equations.
gerry7

Homework Statement

How far will water shoot from a hole in a pipe knowing the pipe pressure, hole size, and exit liquid velocity and flow rate. It is assumed that the hole is located such that the water is sprayed at a 45 deg angle from the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Basic projectile motion equations (i.e. equations used to calculate how far a ball is thrown etc).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the horizontal displacement using projectile motion equations, however this provides a very high horizontal displacement and does not take into account air resistance, liquid forming droplets / spray / mist. Is there another method in which to approximate how far a liquid will spray? I am not confident in the projectile motion equations providing a ballpark approximation figure for liquid spray.

Physics news on Phys.org
gerry7 said:

Homework Statement

How far will water shoot from a hole in a pipe knowing the pipe pressure, hole size, and exit liquid velocity and flow rate. It is assumed that the hole is located such that the water is sprayed at a 45 deg angle from the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Basic projectile motion equations (i.e. equations used to calculate how far a ball is thrown etc).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the horizontal displacement using projectile motion equations, however this provides a very high horizontal displacement and does not take into account air resistance, liquid forming droplets / spray / mist. Is there another method in which to approximate how far a liquid will spray? I am not confident in the projectile motion equations providing a ballpark approximation figure for liquid spray.
Why not?

What is "water spray from a pipe hole"?

Water spray from a pipe hole refers to the act of water being forcefully released from a hole or crack in a pipe. This can happen due to various reasons, such as a burst pipe or a leak.

What causes water spray from a pipe hole?

Water spray from a pipe hole can be caused by several factors, including high water pressure, corrosion or damage to the pipe, or extreme temperature changes.

Is water spray from a pipe hole dangerous?

Yes, water spray from a pipe hole can be dangerous. It can cause water damage to the surrounding area, increase the risk of slip and fall accidents, and potentially lead to mold growth.

How can water spray from a pipe hole be fixed?

The best way to fix water spray from a pipe hole is to turn off the main water supply and call a professional plumber to repair the pipe. It is important to address the issue immediately to prevent further damage.

Can water spray from a pipe hole be prevented?

Yes, water spray from a pipe hole can be prevented by regularly maintaining and inspecting pipes for any signs of damage or wear. It is also important to monitor water pressure and temperature to prevent any sudden changes that could lead to pipe bursts or leaks.