1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water in hose

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in the second photo , why the velocity inside the hose is relatively low ? If it is low , the water wouldn't be able to move out of the hose , am I right ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you read the template headers ?

What the writer means is that the exit opening of the hose is considerably smaller than the diameter.

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
    how it relate to the V1 ?

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't. The volume flow is not playing a role in this exercise, where the upper limit of the achievable height is calculated.

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5
    you mean when the diameter in the hose is larger , the velocity of water in the hose is much smller ( almost = 0 ) compared to the velocity of water at the escaping hole ?

7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bernoulli equation is an energy balance. Here the pressure energy (difference) is converted into gravitational potential energy. The upper limit for height follows if the kinetic energy in the hose can be ignored.

And indeed, at the outflow opening there is mainly kinetic energy.

8. Jan 25, 2016 #7
    ok , so is my statement in post #5 correct ?

9. Jan 25, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say: yes it is. You can conclude v2 in the hose is ignored wrt v2 at the outflow opening.

I tried to talk around that a bit, since there is a small issue of what exactly happens at the outflow opening: a high v means a low p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted