Water Nucleate Boiling possibility in a fire tube Boiler

In summary, a simple waste heat recovery fire tube boiler can have nucleate boiling of water occur if the flue gas temperature is higher than 180°C and the overall heat transfer coefficient should include the nucleate boiling heat transfer coefficient.
jsaidy
Hi guys,
I'm designing a simple waste heat recovery Fire Tube Boiler. The Flue gas inside the tubes has an average temperature of 300 C (572 F).
The tubes are submerged in water at a pressure of 6 atm, this gives us the saturated steam temperature of 158.83 C ( 318 F).
I've calculated The overall Heat Transfer Coefficient of the HX

Uo=50 W/m2.K ( 8.8 Btu/hr.ft2.F) neglecting conductivity and water-tube transfer resistance

The Tube inside Heat Transfer Coefficient is :

hi=55 W/m2.K ( 9.7 )

I know that the nucleate boiling heat transfer coefficient is very High for the tube-water Side and i neglected it in the calculation of U.
I've been wondering if Nucleate Boiling of water is possible IN THE FIRST PLACE!

i appreciate your help

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
.Yes, it is possible for nucleate boiling to occur in a fire tube boiler. The boiling point of water depends on the pressure of the system, and the boiling point of water at 6 atm is about 180°C (356°F). So if the flue gas temperature is higher than 180°C, nucleate boiling can occur. The nucleate boiling heat transfer coefficient is very high, so it should be taken into account when calculating the overall heat transfer coefficient of the HX.

1. What is water nucleate boiling?

Water nucleate boiling is the process of rapid vaporization of water caused by localized heating, resulting in the formation of bubbles on a heated surface.

2. How does water nucleate boiling affect a fire tube boiler?

Water nucleate boiling can cause damage to the tubes of a fire tube boiler by creating hot spots and uneven heating, leading to potential tube failure and reduced efficiency.

3. What factors contribute to the possibility of water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler?

The main factors that contribute to water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler include high heat flux, uneven heating, and the presence of impurities or deposits on the heat transfer surfaces.

4. How can the possibility of water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler be minimized?

To minimize the possibility of water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler, it is important to maintain proper water chemistry and regularly clean the heat transfer surfaces to prevent the buildup of deposits. Proper insulation and control of heat flux can also help reduce the risk of water nucleate boiling.

5. What are the potential consequences of water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler?

If left unchecked, water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler can lead to decreased efficiency, increased maintenance costs, and potentially dangerous situations such as tube failure and boiler explosions. It is important to regularly monitor and address any issues related to water nucleate boiling in a fire tube boiler.