Solving a Water Pressure Problem: Gauge Pressure at B

In summary: For example, you can choose zero height at the bottom of a pipe, or at the top of a mountain. As long as you are consistent in your choice, the equation will still hold.In summary, the conversation discusses a water pressure problem and the use of Bernoulli's equation to solve it. The equation is used to calculate the gauge pressure at point B in a pipe system, and it is explained that there is no factor of two in the equation because the side branches have no effect. The conversation also addresses a mistake in the calculation of v_B and the importance of consistent definitions in the equation.
Coop
Hi,

I am working on this water pressure problem,

jfk.Figure.P13.34.jpg

given:

v_A = 2.0 [itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex]
gauge pressure_A = 50 kPa
the view is from above, no height changes

find: gauge pressure @ B

so,

[itex]A_Av_A=2(A_Bv_B)[/itex]
[itex]1.5*10^{-2}m^2(2.0\frac{m}{s})=2(5*10^{-3}m^2v_B)[/itex]
[itex]v_B=9.0\frac{m}{s}[/itex]

Bernoulli's equation (w/o the [itex]\rho gh[/itex] components bc height is constant):

[itex]p_A+\frac{1}{2}\rho _Av_A^2=p_B+\frac{1}{2}\rho _Bv_B^2[/itex]

My question is, how come the right side of the equation is not [itex]2(p_B+\frac{1}{2}\rho _Bv_B^2)[/itex]? Shouldn't there be a coefficient of two, because the pipe splits in half?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1st: I think you made a mistake in the calculation of vB

2nd: No there is no factor of 2. why should there be one? Bernoulli equation is just the energy conservation for some parcel of water as if follows its path along the tubes. Side branches have no effect.

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
Side branches have no effect.

Thanks

And what mistake do you think I made for v_B? It worked out giving me the right answer :eek:.

I got 3/s from the middle equation. May be the middle equation is wrong and the final result is correct. Hard to tell since you never specified the shape of the ducts (circular cross section I assume, but is it?).

dauto said:
I got 3/s from the middle equation. May be the middle equation is wrong and the final result is correct. Hard to tell since you never specified the shape of the ducts (circular cross section I assume, but is it?).

Oh you're right, sorry. Yeah they are circular pipes but I just wrote down the area incorrectly. I wrote down the pipes' radii for their area when I shouldn't wrote their radii^2*pi. Thanks for the help!

As long as the pipe cross sections are similar figures, the shape doesn't matter (assuming no turbulence) as it's only the ratio of the areas that counts.
The factor of two, because of two pipes, has been 'used' in the calculation of the output velocity.
Pressure and velocity are intensive variables so the number of pipes doesn't matter, once you've calculated the velocity.

Likes 1 person
in bernoulli's equation P+ρ g h =constant , are P and ρ g h different ? aren't they the same? thanks.

In general, they are different.
In particular, h depends on the arbitrary definition of zero height. You can choose whatever you like, as only height differences have a physical relevance.

Related to Solving a Water Pressure Problem: Gauge Pressure at B

1. What is a water pressure problem?

A water pressure problem occurs when there is insufficient or excessive pressure in a water system, resulting in issues such as low water flow or burst pipes.

2. How do I determine the gauge pressure at point B?

To determine the gauge pressure at point B, you will first need to measure the water pressure at point B using a pressure gauge. Then, subtract the atmospheric pressure (typically around 14.7 psi) from the measured pressure to get the gauge pressure at point B.

3. What factors can affect water pressure?

There are several factors that can affect water pressure, including the elevation of the water source, the size and condition of the pipes, and the number of users connected to the water system.

4. How can I increase water pressure at point B?

If the water pressure at point B is too low, you can try adjusting the pressure regulator or installing a booster pump to increase the pressure. However, it is important to consult a professional plumber before making any changes to your water system.

5. What should I do if the water pressure at point B is too high?

If the water pressure at point B is too high, it can cause damage to your plumbing system and appliances. You may need to install a pressure reducing valve or pressure regulator to lower the water pressure and prevent potential damage.