Calculating Energy for Water Rocket Car

In summary, the speaker has constructed a rocket car and is trying to calculate the energy stored in the device, the energy required to travel a distance of 16.5m, and the energy dissipated through the process. They have attempted to use equations and experimental methods to calculate these values, but are still struggling with the calculation of energy dissipated through rolling friction.
Mechpro

Homework Statement

Hi, i have constructed a rocket car out of a meccano kit and used a 2l water bottle filled with 200ml of water and pressured gas as a means to propel it forwards. The distance that it has to travel is 16.5m

I am having difficulty calculating the energy stored in the device, the energy required to travel this distance and the energy dissipated through the process.

Homework Equations

To calculate the energy stored in the device i decided to record the relationship between an increase in pressure and an increase in volume of the bottle. If I can draw the curve and integrate would this give me the energy stored in the bottle?

To calculate the energy dissipated through rolling friction I have come across formulae and am not sure if they are correct, I know that this can be found out experimentally however I'm not sure how to go about this

Calculating the thrust produced by the car can be done using T=2PA where P is the pressure and A is the cross sectional area of the nozzle.

One equation for rolling friction that i encountered was FR = (Mew)R x weight of wheel. I looked online an got a friction coefficient value of 1. As the weight of the wheel was 0.173kg and there are four wheels i got a value of 0.6935kg

Thrust - rolling friction = resultant force
167.190 - 0.6935 = 166.5N

By using F = m a the mass of the car being 0.6935kg
I calculated the acceleration by doing 166.5 / 0.6935 = 240m/s^2

I know that energy stored can be equated to pressure x volume and the acceleration is not constant throughout so therefore i cannot use the kinematic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated thrust by doing 2 x 200,000Pa x (Pi X 0.0115^2) which gave me a value of 166.190N
However as the nozzle is at an angle of 30degrees i multiplied this value by cos30degrees and got a thrust of 143.92N

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the energy stored in the device i recorded the relationship between an increase in pressure and an increase in volume of the bottle. I then drew the curve and integrated this to give me a value of 4.8J. I calculated the energy required to travel the distance by using E = mgh. The mass was 0.693kg and the height was 0.7m so i got a value of 2.48J. The energy dissipated through rolling friction is something I am having difficulty calculating. Is there an equation that can be used to calculate this?

1. How do you calculate the energy required for a water rocket car?

The energy required for a water rocket car can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the energy in Joules, m is the mass of the car in kilograms, and v is the velocity of the car in meters per second. This formula takes into account both the mass and speed of the car, which are crucial factors in determining the energy required.

2. What factors affect the energy required for a water rocket car?

The energy required for a water rocket car is affected by several factors, including the mass of the car, the velocity of the car, the angle at which the car is launched, and the air resistance. The mass and velocity of the car have the most significant impact on the energy required, as stated in the formula E = 1/2mv^2.

3. How can I increase the energy of my water rocket car?

To increase the energy of a water rocket car, you can either increase the mass of the car or increase its velocity. However, it is essential to keep in mind that the car's mass should not be too heavy, as it can negatively affect the car's speed and overall performance. Therefore, it is crucial to find the right balance between mass and velocity to maximize the car's energy.

4. How does air resistance affect the energy required for a water rocket car?

Air resistance can significantly affect the energy required for a water rocket car. As the car moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, known as drag. This drag force can decrease the car's speed, thus requiring more energy to maintain its velocity. To reduce the impact of air resistance, the car can be designed with a streamlined shape and launched at a higher angle to minimize drag.

5. Can the energy required for a water rocket car be measured in different units?

Yes, the energy required for a water rocket car can be measured in different units, such as Joules, kilojoules, or foot-pounds. It is essential to use consistent units when calculating and comparing the energy of different cars to get accurate results. It is also helpful to convert between units using conversion factors to have a better understanding of the car's energy and how it can be improved.