Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water seal for clearance fit

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    I'm trying to make two metal cylinders which will overlap to act as a valve for the outer cylinder to rotate around the other. I need to be able to stop water from the reservoir around the outer cylinder from leaking down between the plates and into the gap for the gear which will give the rotation. Is there a seal I can use either between the cylinders or for the gap left for the gear, which will allow rotation in the fit but wont let water through?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

O ring

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3
    Thanks.

How would I hold it in place. I want the cylinders to overlap tightly, should I put the two cylinders on top of the seal, then fix it to them somehow?

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4
    Maybe I could make the gap between them bigger at the bottom to fit an O seal in, if its the case that this wont prevent the rotation.

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Post a sketch of what you have . Show some basic dimensions .

7. Jan 23, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jan 23, 2017 #7
    I don't have any dimensions yet. Should I put an o ring in the gap between the outer and inner plate, then around the outer plate at the bottom, so water doesn't leek out?

Attached Files:

9. Jan 24, 2017 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is not enough information in your sketch for me to really understand what you are doing .

If you would like to post a proper engineering drawing of your assembly then we can discuss this problem in more detail .

Couple of suggestions pro tem :

Ideally use a small diameter drive shaft for the moving drum and arrange two O rings spaced a short distance apart and with a drain point between the two rings .

In this sort of project it is often a good idea to arrange all the drive gear above the drums rather than below - that way you may only need minimal sealing or perhaps none at all .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted