Sealing Solutions for Rotating Overlapping Cylinders in Water Applications

In summary, the individual is seeking a way to prevent water from leaking between two metal cylinders that will overlap and rotate around each other. They are considering using O rings as a seal either between the cylinders or for the gap left for the gear. They are also discussing the possibility of using a small diameter drive shaft and arranging two O rings with a drain point between them. They are advised to provide more detailed engineering drawings for further discussion and to consider positioning the drive gear above the cylinders to potentially eliminate the need for sealing.
Parsifal1
I'm trying to make two metal cylinders which will overlap to act as a valve for the outer cylinder to rotate around the other. I need to be able to stop water from the reservoir around the outer cylinder from leaking down between the plates and into the gap for the gear which will give the rotation. Is there a seal I can use either between the cylinders or for the gap left for the gear, which will allow rotation in the fit but won't let water through?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
O ring

Likes Parsifal1
Nidum said:
O ring
Thanks.

How would I hold it in place. I want the cylinders to overlap tightly, should I put the two cylinders on top of the seal, then fix it to them somehow?

Maybe I could make the gap between them bigger at the bottom to fit an O seal in, if its the case that this won't prevent the rotation.

Post a sketch of what you have . Show some basic dimensions .

Just to give you the general idea : https://www.eriks.co.uk/image-bank/images/storage/3730_O-ring_selector_lrg.jpg

Nidum said:
Post a sketch of what you have . Show some basic dimensions .

I don't have any dimensions yet. Should I put an o ring in the gap between the outer and inner plate, then around the outer plate at the bottom, so water doesn't leek out?

Attachments

• proj.png
    proj.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 422
There is not enough information in your sketch for me to really understand what you are doing .

If you would like to post a proper engineering drawing of your assembly then we can discuss this problem in more detail .

Couple of suggestions pro tem :

Ideally use a small diameter drive shaft for the moving drum and arrange two O rings spaced a short distance apart and with a drain point between the two rings .

In this sort of project it is often a good idea to arrange all the drive gear above the drums rather than below - that way you may only need minimal sealing or perhaps none at all .

1. What is a water seal for clearance fit?

A water seal for clearance fit is a type of seal used in industrial equipment to prevent water or other liquids from leaking out of a clearance fit, which is the space between two components that are meant to fit together with a small gap between them.

2. How does a water seal for clearance fit work?

The seal works by creating a barrier between the two components, either through a physical barrier or a chemical reaction. This prevents any liquid from passing through the clearance fit and leaking out.

3. When is a water seal for clearance fit needed?

A water seal for clearance fit is needed whenever there is a risk of water or other liquids leaking out of a clearance fit and causing damage to the equipment or surrounding area. This can be in industrial settings such as pumps, valves, or pipes.

4. What are the different types of water seals for clearance fit?

There are several types of water seals for clearance fit, including mechanical seals, O-ring seals, gasket seals, and labyrinth seals. The type used will depend on the specific application and the level of sealing required.

5. How do I choose the right water seal for clearance fit for my application?

Choosing the right water seal for clearance fit will depend on factors such as the type of equipment, the type of liquid being sealed, and the level of sealing required. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the equipment's specifications to determine the most suitable seal for your specific application.