What happens to a wave when it encounters interference?

In summary: Positive and negative interference are a consequence of wave superposition, but they are rare and usually result in destructive interference. In destructive interference the waves cancel each other out, which is why your sound goes dead after a big storm.In summary, the two waves will superimpose at every position, but only for an instant. The resulting wave will be the sum of the two waves at that moment.
Monster007
If I have two waves traveling in opposite directions as shown in the attached image... After 30 seconds what will the waveform look like?

Im having real trouble conceptually understanding this! Please help... Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• waves.png
    waves.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 417
Science news on Phys.org
Are there any (length) units or any other explanation to go with the picture? Are these supposed to represent two waves in the same string?

No no measurements they just sit under each other... they are assumed to be in same medium though. It says they meet after 30 seconds. what is the expected waveform

So I'm assuming they meet after 30 seconds in phase? Because one travels twice as quick as the other which means they will meet end to end as drawn?

Are you familiar with "wave superposition"?

Yes, but I'm wondering what actually happens, as in... I'm assuming they will superimpose but I am not certain for how long and what the resulting waveform will actually be... I know where peaks add I'll get twice the amplitude, but where will they add etc

Well, it depends what you mean by the waves "meet" after 30 seconds. Do they just meet (head-to-head) or are they exactly on top of each other? In the first case you just draw them head-to-head. In the second you superpose them.

The waves are propagating, so they will move past one another… hence they will superpose at every different position, but only for an instant at each position.

If you do a quick Google search for "wave superposition" it turns up a lot of good diagrams and videos of two waves meeting in just the way you are describing.

well I am assuming that after any time the bottom wave will have gone through exactly 2 times as many wavelengths as the top wave as its frequency is twice as much (velocity is, and wavelength is same) but this should result in the waves meeting head to head... so will they constructively interfere?

If it's a wave in a string, the waves will propagate completely unchanged. So you literally slide the two waves past each other and add them together to get the total wave at each moment in time.

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon where two or more waves meet and interact with each other, resulting in a combined wave with a new amplitude and/or direction of propagation.

2. What causes wave interference?

Wave interference occurs when two or more waves of the same type (such as light waves or sound waves) travel through the same medium and overlap with each other. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as reflections, refractions, or diffraction.

3. What are the types of wave interference?

There are two main types of wave interference: constructive interference and destructive interference. Constructive interference occurs when the amplitudes of two waves add together, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the amplitudes of two waves cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

4. How does wave interference affect the behavior of waves?

Wave interference can cause changes in the amplitude, wavelength, and direction of waves. It can also create patterns of alternating constructive and destructive interference, known as interference patterns. These patterns can be seen in various natural phenomena, such as the colors in a soap bubble or the rings on the surface of a body of water.

5. How is wave interference used in real life?

Wave interference is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in noise-canceling headphones, where destructive interference is used to cancel out unwanted sound waves. It is also utilized in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound and MRI, where interference patterns are created to produce images of internal structures in the body. Additionally, wave interference is important in telecommunications, as it allows for the efficient transmission and reception of signals.