Wavelengths due to electric dipole transitions

In summary, on the topic of electric dipole transitions, I have found a few good sources, however I still have some difficulty understanding how to calculate the corresponding wavelengths. Wheth
brocq_18

Homework Statement

Having problems with this subject. Given hydrogenic carbon, with binding energies of
490 eV (1s) 857.50 eV (2p) 925.54 eV (3p) 949.36 eV (4p). Find wavelengths of all lines due to electric dipole transitions between the levels. State which you expect to be strongest.

Homework Equations

I have extensively looked up electric dipoles in books and online and understand the subject competently, however the matter of electric dipole transitions has me stumped when I research it, and there is very little on the forums on it. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good sources please?

Thanks

Brocq

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia article: "selection rules." First column of the table at the bottom.

Apologies, I've read into the selection rules more in depth than just as is shown on wikipedia, but still having some difficulties. Does this then mean I have to calculate the total angular momentum between each possible transition?:uhh:

brocq_18 said:
Apologies, I've read into the selection rules more in depth than just as is shown on wikipedia, but still having some difficulties. Does this then mean I have to calculate the total angular momentum between each possible transition?:uhh:

Hey, did you find the answer to this? I have a similar problem..:confused:

Hi, unfortunately not, I'm a little closer but still do not fully understand how to fulfill the problem...

vela said:
This might be more accessible to you than the Wikipedia page:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/lectures/node64.html

Hi Vela, appreciate your help. I have gotten much further with this now, just having slight difficulties with the following problem which asks to find the corresponding wavelengths from hydrogen like oxygen.

Having attained some advice I have been told all that is needed is to scale up the Z value in relation to oxygen. Does this mean I just increase the wavelength values by a 1/3, to represent the increased difference in Z value between carbon and oygen...?

Solarflare201, I have messaged you with details of what I have done so far. :smile:

No, that's not correct. You know that[tex]E_\gamma = \frac{hc}{\lambda} = E_i - E_f[/tex]where λ is the wavelength of the emitted photon, and Ef and Ei are the energy of the final and initial state of the electron. How do the energies scale with Z?

Sorry, my apologies, what I meant was the Z values are scaled up in squares...but I cannot visualise where I go from here with the data I have...

So the energy goes as Z2. That means if Z doubles, the energies change by a factor of 4.

Now how does wavelength scale with energy? For example, if you double the energy of a photon, what happens to the wavelength?

Wavelength is inversely proportional to energy...Ok, so, as the atomic number of oxygen is higher, cleary more energy is released when the electron drops between shells. This would mean shorter wavelengths. As Z increases by 1/3 from carbon to oxygen, am I correct in assuming the wavelengths increase by 1/9..?

Not quite. By what factor does Z increase going from C to O? It's not 1/3 because that would cause Z to decrease.

Unconfidently I'll say a factor of 2..

6*2 = 8?

4/3, so this is the factor we increase to get from C to O, would we then take the inverse of the wavelengths, that being 3/4? That can't be correct because it doesn't take into account the square function, so would I apply this to the inverse and multiply the wavelengths? I hope that's right..

You don't have to guess. What does the math tell you?

As Eγ=hc/λ I take the inverse of the increasing factor, and in order to satisfy the square, this would also be squared, and multiplied with the corresponding wavelenghts, in order to get the values respective to oxygen! :)

Sounds good!

Thank you for your help Vela, and patience. This helps my comprehension on the matter a lot!

1. What is an electric dipole transition?

An electric dipole transition is a type of transition that occurs when an electron in an atom or molecule moves from one energy level to another, resulting in a change in the electric dipole moment of the system. This change in the dipole moment leads to the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation, which can be observed as a change in the wavelength of light.

2. How do electric dipole transitions contribute to the emission spectrum of an atom?

Electric dipole transitions are responsible for the sharp spectral lines observed in the emission spectrum of an atom. When an electron undergoes a dipole transition, the energy released is in the form of a photon with a specific wavelength. This results in distinct peaks in the emission spectrum that correspond to the different energy levels of the atom.

3. How are the wavelengths of electric dipole transitions determined?

The wavelengths of electric dipole transitions are determined by the energy difference between the initial and final energy levels of the electron. This energy difference is quantized and can be calculated using the Rydberg formula or other quantum mechanical equations. The resulting wavelength corresponds to the specific frequency of the emitted or absorbed electromagnetic radiation.

4. What factors can affect the wavelength of an electric dipole transition?

The wavelengths of electric dipole transitions can be affected by several factors, including the atomic or molecular structure, the strength of the electric dipole moment, and the external electric field. Additionally, the presence of other particles or nearby atoms can also influence the wavelength by altering the energy levels of the electron.

5. Can electric dipole transitions occur in molecules as well as atoms?

Yes, electric dipole transitions can occur in both atoms and molecules. In molecules, the dipole moment is determined by the difference in charge distribution between the atoms. When an electron undergoes a dipole transition in a molecule, it results in the emission or absorption of infrared radiation rather than visible light, as seen in atomic transitions.