1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves Question

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One end of a horizontal string of linear density 4.7 multiplied by 10-4 kg/m is attached to a small-amplitude mechanical 58 Hz vibrator. The string passes over a pulley, a distance L = 1.50 m away, and weights are hung from this end, Fig. 11-48. Assume the string at the vibrator is a node, which is nearly true.

What mass must be hung from this end of the string to produce a standing wave with the following number of loops?

a). one loop: ?
    b). two loops: ?
    c). five loops: ?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know how to do this problem that is why I'm asking.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to start that is why I need help please!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

You'll have to come up with something before receiving help here. How about finding what equations have something to do with wave velocity, wavelength, and frequency?

Also, they gave you the linear density of the string in the problem statement. There's probably an equation that uses that, which will be useful here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?