1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wedge Product as an (r+s) form

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]\omega \in \Lambda^{r}(V^*)[/itex] and [itex]\nu \in \Lambda^{s}(V^*)[/itex] show that [itex]\omega \wedge \nu \in \Lambda^{r+s}(V^*)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\omega \wedge \nu (v_1,... ,v_r,v_{r+1},... ,v_{r+s})= \frac{1}{(r+s)!} \Sigma_{\sigma}(-1)^\sigma \omega(v_{\sigma(1)},v_{\sigma(2)},...,v_{\sigma(r)}) \nu(v_{\sigma(r+1)},v_{\sigma(r+2)},...,v_{\sigma(r+s)})[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

It would take really long to write out my solution thus far, I broke the sum on the right into even and odd sums. Then proceeded to show (I hope) that as [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] behave like [itex]\omega[/itex](odd interchange) [itex]= - \omega[/itex](no interchange) and the same for [itex]\nu[/itex].

Then the "odd sum" will have three negatives, one from the [itex](-1)^\sigma[/itex] and two from the above relations. This leaves a net (-1) as per definition of an (r+s) form, similar reasoning is used for the even sum.

Combining these two, we have, up to a scaling factor, that this new object behaves just as an (r+s) form.

Cheers, it's mainly the permutation thing is bugging me.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?