Wedges problem -- When will the two wedges start sliding?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter mingyz0403
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sliding
In summary: You can see that it takes into account the direction of the normal force and the direction of motion, as well as the magnitude of the normal force.
mingyz0403
Homework Statement
Block A supports a pipe column and rests as shown on wedge B. the coefficient of static friction at all surfaces of contact is 0.25. if p = 0, determine (a) the angle θ for which sliding is impending, (b) the corresponding force exerted on the block by the vertical wall.
Relevant Equations
Free body diagram
The correct angle is 28.1 degree.I understand ∅=arctan(m). Isn’t R should be angled ∅ degree away from the normal force.
9942FC39-8A91-42AF-A569-5610FD0EF093.jpeg
5BE72652-1BF7-448D-AC62-01B652CEAD14.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have what I presently would call a somewhat sloppy solution that gets the correct answer to the angle.

If you just look at the wedge B, and consider it massless, you can assume a normal force ## F_N ## acts on it from the block. The downward forces on the wedge consist of the vertical component of ## F_N ##, along with a downward component of the frictional force between the block and the wedge. These create a horizontal frictional force at the base, that balance the combination of the horizontal component of the normal force (pushing to the right) and the horizontal component of the frictional force on the wedge from the block (which points to the left=thereby a minus sign).

The ## F_N ## drops out from both sides of this expression, and you solve for ## \tan{\theta}=\sin{\theta}/\cos{\theta} ##. I'll be glad to supply additional detail on this expression if you get stuck, but you should be able to write out the expression from the info I provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to the above, and make the solution of the problem a little more complete, it may really be better to exclude gravity (and masses of the wedge and block) in this problem=e.g. letting the system be on a horizontal frictionless table. In this case it is clear that the mass B can be ignored, as was done to get the answer given by the textbook.

We haven't heard back from the OP on this one, but I'd like to add something that the OP and anyone else may find of interest:
The frictional force reaches its maximum value ## F_F =\mu F_N ## when motion is imminent, and is opposite the direction of motion. Otherwise, the frictional force can even be zero with a large normal force=e.g. a book resting on a horizontal table has zero frictional force unless there is an applied force that attempts to move the book. The frictional force will then be opposite the applied force, and its maximum value is ## F_F=\mu F_N ##. ## \\ ##
With this additional input, the "algebraic" solution I came up with above becomes more complete.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the "Wedges problem"?

The Wedges problem is a physics problem that involves two wedges placed on top of each other. The bottom wedge is on a horizontal surface and the top wedge is resting on the bottom wedge at a certain angle. The question is when will the top wedge start sliding down the bottom wedge due to gravity.

2. What factors affect when the wedges will start sliding?

The main factors that affect when the wedges will start sliding are the angle of the top wedge, the coefficient of friction between the two wedges, and the mass of the wedges. The steeper the angle, the higher the coefficient of friction, and the heavier the wedges, the more force is needed to overcome the static friction holding the wedges together.

3. How do you solve the Wedges problem?

The Wedges problem can be solved by using the laws of static friction and equilibrium. The force of gravity acting on the top wedge must be balanced by the normal force and the force of friction. By setting up and solving equations, the angle at which the wedges will start sliding can be determined.

4. Can the Wedges problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the Wedges problem can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can be used to determine the angle at which a ladder will start sliding down a wall, or the angle at which a car will start sliding down a steep hill. It can also be used in engineering and construction to ensure stability of structures.

5. Are there any limitations to the Wedges problem?

One limitation of the Wedges problem is that it assumes the surfaces of the wedges are perfectly smooth and there is no external force acting on the wedges. In reality, there will always be some roughness and imperfections on the surfaces, and there may be other external forces such as wind or vibrations that can affect the outcome of the problem.