What is a 68kg Person's Weight on Mt. Everest?

• Thread starter Phy 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the relationship between weight and elevation is that as elevation increases, weight decreases due to the decrease in gravitational force. This is why people tend to weigh less at higher elevations. However, weight in respect to elevation can differ between individuals due to factors such as body composition and overall health. This difference in weight can also affect physical performance, as higher elevations have lower oxygen levels. There is no specific elevation where weight becomes significantly lighter, as weight decreases gradually with increasing elevation.
Phy 1

Homework Statement

Find a 68kg person's weight on top of Mt. Everest (8848m above sea level)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the formula I should use, my teacher only gave me Fg = G(m1)(m2)/delta d^2

How do I solve this?

FAQ: What is a 68kg Person's Weight on Mt. Everest?

What is the relationship between weight and elevation?

The relationship between weight and elevation is that as elevation increases, weight decreases. This is due to the decrease in gravitational force at higher elevations.

Why do people tend to weigh less at higher elevations?

People tend to weigh less at higher elevations because the gravitational force is weaker at higher elevations. This means that the force pulling on our bodies is less, resulting in a decrease in weight.

Does weight in respect to elevation differ between individuals?

Yes, weight in respect to elevation can differ between individuals. Factors such as body composition, muscle mass, and overall health can affect how much an individual weighs at different elevations.

Can weight in respect to elevation affect physical performance?

Yes, weight in respect to elevation can affect physical performance. Higher elevations have lower oxygen levels, which can make physical activities more challenging and may result in a decrease in performance.

Is there a specific elevation where weight becomes significantly lighter?

There is no specific elevation where weight becomes significantly lighter. Weight decreases gradually as elevation increases, so there is no specific point where weight suddenly becomes significantly lighter.

Back