Weighted Sum in Taylor Expansion (Partial Derivatives)

In summary, The author is explaining the concept of "weighted sum of the two squares" in a mathematical equation and how it is related to "completing the square". The purpose of this is to show that the two expressions are equal and to provide useful constraints on the weights of the square terms. The term "sum of weights of the squares" may have caused confusion, but it is simply a way of rewriting the first expression.
unscientific

Homework Statement

From step 1 to step 2, what do they mean by "Taking the weighted sum of the two squares " ?

I tried and expanded everything in step 2 and it ends up as the same as step 1 (as expected),

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking up "weighted sum" and " weighted sum of squares", I think the more closely related one is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lack-of-fit_sum_of_squares

I read it and tried to understand it but it looks as if what they are describing has no relation to what's in the book..

Attachments

• weighted sum.jpg
    weighted sum.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
You are overthinking it. It's just a convenient way of rewriting the first expression.

clamtrox said:
You are overthinking it. It's just a convenient way of rewriting the first expression.

I'm sorry but I feel that if that was the case it would simply be written as " the expression can be rewritten to a form as: " instead of "weighted sum of the two squares".

unscientific said:
I'm sorry but I feel that if that was the case it would simply be written as " the expression can be rewritten to a form as: " instead of "weighted sum of the two squares".

Do you at least agree that nothing magical has happened between the steps? The two expressions are equal.

The reason why you do this is you know always that the squared terms are positive. Then by requiring that R.H.S of the equation is always positive, you get useful constraints on the weights of the square terms. By requiring that
[tex] f_{xx}\left(\Delta x + \frac{f_{xy} \Delta y}{f_{xx}}\right)^2 + \left( f_{yy}-\frac{f_{xy}^2}{f_{xx}}\right) (\Delta y)^2 > 0 [/tex]
for all [itex] \Delta x [/itex] and [itex] \Delta y [/itex] you see that [itex] f_{xx} > 0 [/itex] by setting [itex] \Delta y = 0 [/itex] and [itex] \left( f_{yy}-\frac{f_{xy}^2}{f_{xx}}\right)>0 [/itex] by setting [itex] \Delta x = - \frac{f_{xy} \Delta y}{f_{xx}} [/itex]

clamtrox said:
Do you at least agree that nothing magical has happened between the steps? The two expressions are equal.

The reason why you do this is you know always that the squared terms are positive. Then by requiring that R.H.S of the equation is always positive, you get useful constraints on the weights of the square terms. By requiring that
[tex] f_{xx}\left(\Delta x + \frac{f_{xy} \Delta y}{f_{xx}}\right)^2 + \left( f_{yy}-\frac{f_{xy}^2}{f_{xx}}\right) (\Delta y)^2 > 0 [/tex]
for all [itex] \Delta x [/itex] and [itex] \Delta y [/itex] you see that [itex] f_{xx} > 0 [/itex] by setting [itex] \Delta y = 0 [/itex] and [itex] \left( f_{yy}-\frac{f_{xy}^2}{f_{xx}}\right)>0 [/itex] by setting [itex] \Delta x = - \frac{f_{xy} \Delta y}{f_{xx}} [/itex]

I was confused by the term " sum of weights of the squares" as I didn't know what it meant. I tried using a different approach of aiming to "complete the square" first with (Δx) then i arrived at the same results.

What is the weighted sum in Taylor expansion?

The weighted sum in Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a series of partial derivatives. It involves using a weighted combination of these derivatives to create a polynomial that approximates the original function.

Why is the weighted sum in Taylor expansion useful?

The weighted sum in Taylor expansion is useful because it allows for the approximation of complex functions using simpler polynomials. This can make calculations and analysis easier and more efficient.

How is the weighted sum calculated?

The weighted sum in Taylor expansion is calculated by taking a weighted combination of the partial derivatives of a function at a given point. The weights are determined by the coefficients of the Taylor series and are based on the distance from the point of expansion.

What is the difference between weighted sum and regular Taylor expansion?

The main difference between weighted sum and regular Taylor expansion is the use of weights in the former. In regular Taylor expansion, all derivatives are given equal weight, while in weighted sum, the derivatives are weighted according to their distance from the point of expansion. This allows for a more accurate approximation of the function.

What are some applications of the weighted sum in Taylor expansion?

The weighted sum in Taylor expansion has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to approximate complex physical systems, optimize functions, and analyze economic models. It is also used in numerical analysis and machine learning algorithms.