How Does Charge Distribution Affect the Electric Field in a Cylindrical Hole?

In summary, we have an infinite plate on the yz plane with a uniform volume charge distribution ρ_{0}. At y=y_{0}, there is a cylindrical hole with a radius a, and at the center of the hole is an infinite line distribution λ_{0}. To find the field everywhere and the condition for zero field outside the hole, we use Gauss's law and the boundary conditions for E and D. The superposition principle is used to add the fields from the three distinct charge distributions: the sheet without the hole and line charge, a right circular cylinder where the hole is with a charge density equal to the negative of the sheet's charge density, and the line charge by itself. The condition for zero field outside the hole
weaver159

Homework Statement

We have a infinite plate on the yz plane from [itex]x=-d/2[/itex] to [itex]x=d/2[/itex]. The plate has a uniform volume charge distribution [itex]ρ_{0}[/itex]. Parallel to the z axis at [itex]y=y_{0}[/itex] we have a cylindrical hole with a radius [itex]a[/itex]. At the center of the hole (paralle to the z-axis) we have an infinite line distribution [itex]λ_{0}[/itex].
We need to find the field everywhere and the condition that [itex]λ_{0}[/itex], [itex]ρ_{0}[/itex] must satisfy in order to have zero field outside the hole.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law and the boundary contitions for [itex]E,D[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My first though was offcourse the superpossition principal. I found a problem using it:

The field inside the hole doesn't match the field from an infinite line, as it supposed to.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the x-coordinate of the hole's central axis? Is it x = 0? Not sure it matters, but I think it does.

rude man said:
What is the x-coordinate of the hole's central axis? Is it x = 0? Not sure it matters, but I think it does.

Yep. My mistake. It is at x = 0.

weaver159 said:

Homework Statement

We have a infinite plate on the yz plane from [itex]x=-d/2[/itex] to [itex]x=d/2[/itex]. The plate has a uniform volume charge distribution [itex]ρ_{0}[/itex]. Parallel to the z axis at [itex]y=y_{0}[/itex] we have a cylindrical hole with a radius [itex]a[/itex]. At the center of the hole (paralle to the z-axis) we have an infinite line distribution [itex]λ_{0}[/itex].
We need to find the field everywhere and the condition that [itex]λ_{0}[/itex], [itex]ρ_{0}[/itex] must satisfy in order to have zero field outside the hole.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law and the boundary contitions for [itex]E,D[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My first though was offcourse the superpossition principal. I found a problem using it:

The field inside the hole doesn't match the field from an infinite line, as it supposed to.

I'd go with superposition all right.

1. Sheet without the hole and line charge.
2. Right circular cylinder of where the hole is, charge density the negative of the charge density of the sheet.
3. Just the line charge by itself.
4. Add the whole business.
5. Invoke the requirement of zero E field outside the hole.

rude man said:
I'd go with superposition all right.

1. Sheet without the hole and line charge.
2. Right circular cylinder of where the hole is, charge density the negative of the charge density of the sheet.
3. Just the line charge by itself.
4. Add the whole business.
5. Invoke the requirement of zero E field outside the hole.

Thanks for the answer.
That's exactly what I did, but I have a small concern.
The field inside the hole should be [itex]λ_{0}/2πε_{0}r[/itex], because all we have in the hole is the line distribution. That is not result I get when I add the field from the above 3 distinct distributions. Do I miss anything?

*It is not actually a sheet but a plate, but that I think has minimal effect on the methodology.

The fied inside the hole is not just due to the line charge. It's also due to the plate's charge distribution. The field in the hole is due to three separate charge distributions, as I outlined.

Related to How Does Charge Distribution Affect the Electric Field in a Cylindrical Hole?

1. What is weird charge distribution?

Weird charge distribution refers to an uneven or non-uniform distribution of electric charge within a system or object. This can occur due to various factors such as the structure of the object or the presence of external electric fields.

2. How does weird charge distribution affect the behavior of a system?

Weird charge distribution can have significant effects on the behavior of a system, as it can create uneven electric fields and lead to unexpected interactions between charged particles. This can also affect the overall stability and functionality of the system.

3. What are some examples of systems with weird charge distribution?

Some examples of systems with weird charge distribution include molecules, atoms, and complex biological structures. These systems often have non-uniform charge distributions due to the arrangement of their constituent particles.

4. Can weird charge distribution be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, it is possible to control and manipulate weird charge distribution through various techniques such as applying external electric fields, altering the structure of the system, or introducing charged particles. This can be useful in many applications, including electronic devices and chemical reactions.

5. How is weird charge distribution studied and measured?

Weird charge distribution can be studied and measured through various experimental techniques, such as atomic force microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to visualize and analyze the distribution of electric charge within a system at a microscopic level.