Charge distribution in an electric field

In summary, the electric field due to the charged cylinder is E = \frac{{\sigma}R}{2\epsilon_0}. The electric field due to the charged sphere is E = -\frac{{\sigma}R}{2\epsilon_0}. The charge generated on the grounded plane is conserved.
teme92

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius R is placed above an infinite grounded plane. The centre of the cylinder is a distance (d) above the plane, and the cylinder has a surface charge density of σ.

(a) Initially ignoring the grounded plane, what is the electric field due to the charged cylinder, assuming a cylindrical coordinate system that is centred on the cylinder?

(b) Use your result to provide and equation for the electric field in the xyz coordinate system, where the grounded plane is at z=0, and the centre of the cylinder is along the y-direction at z=d?

(c) What is the Electric field due to the charged sphere and the grounded plane for z>0?

(d) What is the distribution of the charge that is generated on the infinite grounded plane?

(e) Calculate the charge per unit length that is generated on the grounded plane in the y-direction, and use this to show that charge is conserved.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law: [itex] \int E{\cdot}da = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I used Gauss' Law where [itex]da = 2{\pi}RL[/itex] and [itex]Q_{enc} = \sigma[/itex], simplifying down to get:

[itex]E = \frac{{\sigma}R}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex]

(b) I simply said [itex]R = \sqrt{x^2+d^2}[/itex] and subbed into (a) and got:

[itex]E = \frac{{\sigma}(\sqrt{x^2+d^2})}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex]

(c) I got the [itex]R_+[/itex] and [itex]R_-[/itex] and then their respective [itex]E_+[/itex] and [itex]E_-[/itex]. Then added them together for total ##E##. This is a long equation that I won't type out unless its relevant for later parts.

(d),(e) These parts are confusing me and I don't understand how to answer them. Any help in the right direction would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:
(a) I used Gauss' Law where [itex]da = 2{\pi}RL[/itex] and [itex]Q_{enc} = \sigma[/itex], simplifying down to get:

There may be a trivial error here that ##da## must have to match a also little amount like ##2\pi RdL.##

A hint based on my opinion: The method of image. Have you learned it?

It says for part (a) to ignore the grounded plane so would that not therefore mean ##d## is irrelevant?

I'm sorry that I didn't explain what I typed clearly. I used ##da## and ##dL## to present little amount. These just can make the both sides of the equation equal.

teme92 said:

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius R is placed above an infinite grounded plane. The centre of the cylinder is a distance (d) above the plane, and the cylinder has a surface charge density of σ.

(a) Initially ignoring the grounded plane, what is the electric field due to the charged cylinder, assuming a cylindrical coordinate system that is centred on the cylinder?

(b) Use your result to provide and equation for the electric field in the xyz coordinate system, where the grounded plane is at z=0, and the centre of the cylinder is along the y-direction at z=d?

(c) What is the Electric field due to the charged sphere and the grounded plane for z>0?

(d) What is the distribution of the charge that is generated on the infinite grounded plane?

(e) Calculate the charge per unit length that is generated on the grounded plane in the y-direction, and use this to show that charge is conserved.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law: [itex] \int E{\cdot}da = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation [itex]da = 2{\pi}RL[/itex] isn't correct. The lefthand side is infinitesimal but the righthand side is finite. Writing ##Q = \sigma## doesn't make sense either. The units don't match.

Don't mix up the radius of the cylinder ##R## with the radial coordinate ##r##. Also, to be complete, you should consider the regions inside the cylinder and outside the cylinder.

(b) I simply said [itex]R = \sqrt{x^2+d^2}[/itex] and subbed into (a) and got:
Why would the radius of the cylinder ##R## depend on ##x## and the distance ##d## from the plane?

[itex]E = \frac{{\sigma}(\sqrt{x^2+d^2})}{2\epsilon_0}[/itex]

(c) I got the [itex]R_+[/itex] and [itex]R_-[/itex] and then their respective [itex]E_+[/itex] and [itex]E_-[/itex]. Then added them together for total ##E##. This is a long equation that I won't type out unless its relevant for later parts.

(d),(e) These parts are confusing me and I don't understand how to answer them. Any help in the right direction would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey thanks for the replies guys, I got help of a class mate today so everything is good.

1. What is charge distribution in an electric field?

Charge distribution in an electric field refers to the arrangement of charges (positive and negative) in a given area or space, and how they interact with the electric field. This can vary depending on the size and shape of the charges, as well as the strength and direction of the electric field.

2. How is charge distribution affected by an electric field?

An electric field can cause charges to move, either towards or away from each other, depending on their polarity. This movement can result in a redistribution of charges, creating an overall charge distribution within the electric field.

3. What factors influence charge distribution in an electric field?

The main factors that influence charge distribution in an electric field are the strength and direction of the electric field, the size and shape of the charges, and the distance between them. Other factors such as the presence of other materials or objects can also affect charge distribution.

4. How can charge distribution be measured in an electric field?

Charge distribution can be measured using instruments such as a Coulomb balance or a Faraday cage. These devices can detect the forces between charges and provide information on their distribution within an electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of charge distribution in an electric field?

Charge distribution in an electric field has many practical applications, such as in the operation of electronic devices, the transmission of electricity through power lines, and the functioning of batteries and capacitors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.