Are Trig Identities Needed for This Derivative Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solutions to four given functions by taking their derivatives and using trig identities to simplify the answers. The correct solutions are C, D, A, and B, respectively. The person asking for help was initially unsure whether to use trig identities or derivatives, but it was clarified that derivatives should be used. The conversation ends with confirmation that the solutions are correct.
asdfsystema

Homework Statement

30958vq.jpg

Homework Equations

Trig identities or straightforward derivative?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the answers

1. C
2. B
3. A
4. D

I tried taking the derivative of these, but a friend of mine here told me it deals with trig identities and isn't a derivative equation at all. Is he wrong ?

I am pretty sure these are the solutions but i want to double check ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your friend is wrong. You hae to take the derivatives of the four given functions, and then match the derivatives you got with the answers shown by using trig identities. For 1, C is correct. For the rest, use trig identities to simplify the answers and compare your results with the derivatives you got for the given functions.

2. y= tan(x)
y'= sec^2(x)
Answer: D
trig identity used: 1+tan^2(x)= sec^2(x)

3. y=cos(tan(x))
y'= -sec^2(x)*sin(tan(x))
Answer: A

4.y=sin(x)tan(x)
y'=cos(x)*tan(x)+sec^2(x)*sin(x)
Answer: B

Is this correct? Thank you for the quick response by the way.

Thank you ! problem solved

Related to Are Trig Identities Needed for This Derivative Problem?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is usually denoted by the symbol 'd' or by a prime symbol.

2. What is a "Weird Derivative problem"?

A "Weird Derivative problem" is a term used to describe a derivative problem that may seem unusual or challenging, often involving multiple functions or complex equations.

3. How do you solve a "Weird Derivative problem"?

The best way to solve a "Weird Derivative problem" is to first identify all functions involved and their respective derivatives. Then, use the appropriate derivative rules and techniques, such as the chain rule or product rule, to simplify the problem and find the solution.

4. Why are "Weird Derivative problems" important?

"Weird Derivative problems" are important because they challenge our understanding of derivatives and allow us to apply our knowledge in new and creative ways. They also often appear in real-world applications, making them relevant to various fields of study such as physics, economics, and engineering.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving "Weird Derivative problems"?

The best way to improve your skills in solving "Weird Derivative problems" is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of derivatives and their corresponding rules. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or participating in online forums and discussions can also aid in improving your problem-solving abilities.