Weird Project Idea: Help Needed for Report Container

In summary, a student is struggling with a professor's assignment to hand in a report in a "decorative container" which will count for a large portion of their grade. The report is on the anthropic principle and cosmology. The student is considering using a makeshift telescope as a container, but wants suggestions for something more impressive. One suggestion is to create a collage of astronomy images and cosmological parameters on a glass tumbler, coated with polyurethane. Another cheeky suggestion is to use laminated $10 bills to represent the lack of funding for the anthropic principle.
SplinterIon
Don't know what forum to put this in.

In what must be the most retarded step I know, we have been told to hand in a report in a "decorative container" worth a mind bogglingly large percentage of the mark.

Considering my report is on the anthropic principle and its relation to cosmology, I'm mystified as to what I'll use as a container. My last ditch attempt will be to glue various pieces of piping and a lens and stuff my report into it and call the housing a telescope. :rolleyes:

However, I really need something that'll probably have a higher wow factor - something that can be built in like a day or two. Help/Suggestions would be appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hmmm... how about a collage of perdy astronomy pictures, would that work?

Maybe your instructor is fishing around for a neat pencil-holders. Go to an AP site and print out a list of the cosmological parameters that need to be "just so" for human life to exist. Then visit some other sites and "borrow" nice graphics representing black holes, space-time curvature in GR, WMAP data, etc. Print them out at suitable scales and glue them to a nice heavy glass tumbler. Glue on formaulae or values of the parameters that allow these things to exist, then coat with polyurethane. Alternatively, you could type the values into the jpegs using an image editor before printing for a neater look.

Of course you could use a glue stick to laminate $10 bills onto the tumbler and explain that the AP is really short of funding... OK, too obvious.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Weird Project Idea: Help Needed for Report Container"?

The purpose of this project is to create a report container that can store and organize various types of data in a unique and unconventional way. It aims to improve data analysis and presentation methods for researchers and analysts.

2. How does the "Weird Project Idea: Help Needed for Report Container" differ from traditional report containers?

This project differs from traditional report containers in that it utilizes a non-linear and interactive approach to organizing and displaying data. It also incorporates elements of gamification to make data analysis more engaging and intuitive.

3. What skills are needed to contribute to the "Weird Project Idea: Help Needed for Report Container"?

Contributors to this project should have a strong understanding of data analysis, user interface design, and programming. Knowledge of gamification techniques and data visualization methods would also be beneficial.

4. Can this report container be used for any type of data analysis?

Yes, the "Weird Project Idea: Help Needed for Report Container" can be used for a wide range of data analysis tasks. It is designed to be customizable and adaptable to different types of data and research needs.

5. Are there any potential limitations or challenges with implementing this "Weird Project Idea: Help Needed for Report Container"?

As with any new project, there may be challenges and limitations in the development and implementation of this report container. These may include technical issues, user feedback, and compatibility with different data analysis software. However, the team behind this project is committed to addressing and overcoming these challenges to create a successful and innovative tool.