Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Project Idea

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    Don't know what forum to put this in.

In what must be the most retarded step I know, we have been told to hand in a report in a "decorative container" worth a mind bogglingly large percentage of the mark.

Considering my report is on the anthropic principle and its relation to cosmology, I'm mystified as to what I'll use as a container. My last ditch attempt will be to glue various pieces of piping and a lens and stuff my report into it and call the housing a telescope. :rolleyes:

However, I really need something that'll probably have a higher wow factor - something that can be built in like a day or two. Help/Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2
    Hmmm... how about a collage of perdy astronomy pictures, would that work?

4. Apr 27, 2005 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe your instructor is fishing around for a neat pencil-holders. Go to an AP site and print out a list of the cosmological parameters that need to be "just so" for human life to exist. Then visit some other sites and "borrow" nice graphics representing black holes, space-time curvature in GR, WMAP data, etc. Print them out at suitable scales and glue them to a nice heavy glass tumbler. Glue on formaulae or values of the parameters that allow these things to exist, then coat with polyurethane. Alternatively, you could type the values into the jpegs using an image editor before printing for a neater look.

Of course you could use a glue stick to laminate $10 bills onto the tumbler and explain that the AP is really short of funding... OK, too obvious.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?