Weird question, with strength of materials (probably)

In summary, the problem is that the guy does not even know the name of the subject and needs to find out what this equation is about.
berdan
Hi,
So,I'm helping a guy with his mechanical engineering homework.
The problem is that the guy is so off, he doesn't even know the name of the subject.
And honestly, I having a hard question finding out what this question is about.
I need to proove the Zb=h^2/3 thingy. I have no idea what this is about.

Can someone point me to the subject?
1568664627252.png

Physics news on Phys.org
it is just a rectangle.

Sort of a funky sketch, but I would say what you have here is 2 vertical parallel lines (bars) of unit width and height h, separated by a distance b, and you are looking for the Section Modulus of those parallel bars about the x-axis passing through its center of gravity. Section Modulus is commonly denoted as S (or sometimes Z) where S is equal to the moment of inertia of the bars about the cg and x-axis divided by the vertical distance from the cg to the top of the bars. In which case from tables I is h^3/12 for each bar, twice that for 2 bars, h^3/6. Thus S is h^3/6 divided by h/2, or h^2/3. I’m just guessing though, and in any case it won’t be of much help to him if the whole course is way beyond him, and he should probably choose another career perhaps or get his act in gear.

Likes berdan
PhanthomJay said:
Sort of a funky sketch, but I would say what you have here is 2 vertical parallel lines (bars) of unit width and height h, separated by a distance b, and you are looking for the Section Modulus of those parallel bars about the x-axis passing through its center of gravity. Section Modulus is commonly denoted as S (or sometimes Z) where S is equal to the moment of inertia of the bars about the cg and x-axis divided by the vertical distance from the cg to the top of the bars. In which case from tables I is h^3/12 for each bar, twice that for 2 bars, h^3/6. Thus S is h^3/6 divided by h/2, or h^2/3. I’m just guessing though, and in any case it won’t be of much help to him if the whole course is way beyond him, and he should probably choose another career perhaps or get his act in gear.

You are absolutely right in all accounts. Funny thing is that I wasn't aware of this as well, being a Mechanical Engineer with a diploma hah.
Thanks a lot!

1. What is strength of materials?

Strength of materials is a branch of engineering that deals with the behavior of solid objects subjected to stresses and strains. It involves analyzing the strength and stiffness of materials under various types of loads and determining how they will deform or break under those conditions.

2. How is strength of materials important in engineering?

Strength of materials is crucial in engineering as it helps engineers design and construct structures that can withstand the loads and stresses they will be exposed to. It also allows for the optimization of materials and designs to ensure safety, durability, and cost-effectiveness.

3. What are some common applications of strength of materials?

Strength of materials is used in a wide range of applications, including designing buildings, bridges, and other structures, manufacturing machinery and equipment, and developing new materials for various purposes. It is also essential in fields such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering.

4. How do scientists and engineers test the strength of materials?

There are various methods for testing the strength of materials, including tension, compression, shear, and torsion tests. These tests involve applying different types of loads to a material and measuring its response, such as how much it deforms or how much force it can withstand before breaking.

5. Are there any limitations to strength of materials analysis?

While strength of materials analysis is a valuable tool in engineering, it does have some limitations. It assumes that materials are homogeneous, isotropic, and behave elastically, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, it cannot account for factors such as temperature, time, and fatigue, which can also affect the behavior of materials.