Weird shell method problem to find volume

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of revolution of the solid formed by rotating the area enclosed by the curves y=x^(2/3) and y=x^2 around the line x=4. The process involves finding the intersections of the two equations and using an integral to calculate the volume on the right side of the x-axis. There is also discussion about considering the left side of the graph and the need for an absolute value when using negative solutions.
TitoSmooth
Y=x^(2/3) and y=x^2 rotated about the x=4.

First I equate the equations giving me x=0,-1,1. The problem is I have exactly 2 graphs that are symmetric in respect to the y axis. N I have not encountered a problem in stewart dealing with this.

I know that the volume on the right side of the X axis is going to be. 2pie∫(4-x)(x^2-x^(2/3)) dx. And the limits of integration are from 0 to 1.

What about the side left from origin?

After I find the integral for both of the areas. Do I right of origin- left of origin or right of origin +LEFT of origin?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a pic of my work so far.

Attachments

• 1401796724230.jpg
    1401796724230.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 394
TitoSmooth said:
Here is a pic of my work so far.
I have to lie on my side to read that. It will be easier for you and others if you make that picture upright.

Ok here it is

Attachments

• 1401797380809.jpg
    1401797380809.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 424
I think you have the left hand portion of your graph incorrect. y = x2/3 is not defined in the reals when x is negative.

I am guessing the complete problem statement is find the volume of revolution of the solid formed from rotating the area enclosed by the two curves around the line x=4? I agree with the integral you wrote down, up to a sign.

You can check your answer using disks.

CAF123 said:
I think you have the left hand portion of your graph incorrect. y = x2/3 is not defined in the reals when x is negative.

I am guessing the complete problem statement is find the volume of revolution of the solid formed from rotating the area enclosed by the two curves around the line x=4? I agree with the integral you wrote down, up to a sign.

You can check your answer using disks.

So x^(2/3)=x^(2)

Becomes. X^(2/3)(1-x^(4/3))

Which gives we the interceptions of x=0,-1,1. So I do not take into account the left hand side of the graph even tho the algebra is correct? We would have the sum of two volumes?

X^(2/3) is defined because of cubic root holds no restrictions provided it is not in the denominator.

TitoSmooth said:
So x^(2/3)=x^(2)

Becomes. X^(2/3)(1-x^(4/3))

Which gives we the interceptions of x=0,-1,1. So I do not take into account the left hand side of the graph even tho the algebra is correct? We would have the sum of two volumes?
How did you get x=-1? It is not a solution. So the only intersections of the graphs are at 0 and 1. No need to consider two volumes. The volume of revolution is generated by this area only:
http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sketch+x^2+=+x^(2/3)&x=3&y=1

Suppose there exists a negative solution. Then ##-p = x^{2/3}##, p > 0. Take the root of both sides gives ##(-p)^{3/2} = x = (-1)^{3/2} p^{3/2} = -i p^{3/2} \in \mathbb{C}##.

TitoSmooth said:
Y=x^(2/3) and y=x^2 rotated about the x=4.
I know that the volume on the right side of the X axis is going to be. 2pie∫(4-x)(x^2-x^(2/3)) dx. And the limits of integration are from 0 to 1.

I would just assume we are talking about the first quadrant only. Otherwise you should use an absolute value and have different limits of integration. Anyway, it seems like you know what you are doing here.

And once you decide whether you are going to use [-1,1] or [0,1], note that you have the upper and lower curves reversed in your setup integral. You will get a negative answer as it stands.

LCKurtz said:
And once you decide whether you are going to use [-1,1] or [0,1], note that you have the upper and lower curves reversed in your setup integral. You will get a negative answer as it stands.

Whereas with an absolute value sign in the integrand, the statement is at least conceptually correct, which is always what you want to aim for, getting a conceptually correct formula that one can proceed to treat mathematically.

Last edited:

1. What is the shell method for finding volume in calculus?

The shell method is a technique in calculus used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves integrating the product of the circumference of a shell and its height over the interval of rotation.

2. How does the shell method differ from the disk method in finding volume?

The disk method involves slicing a solid of revolution into disks and integrating the area of each disk to find its volume. The shell method, on the other hand, involves slicing the solid into cylindrical shells and integrating the product of their circumference and height.

3. Can the shell method be used to find the volume of any solid of revolution?

Yes, the shell method can be used to find the volume of any solid of revolution as long as the axis of rotation is known and the function defining the solid is continuous and non-negative over the interval of rotation.

4. What is a "weird" shell method problem in finding volume?

A "weird" shell method problem is one where the axis of rotation is not the x-axis or y-axis, and the function defining the solid may not be continuous or non-negative over the interval of rotation. These types of problems require additional mathematical techniques to solve.

5. How can I check if my solution to a shell method volume problem is correct?

You can check your solution by using the disk method to find the volume as well. If the results from both methods match, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can also use a graphing calculator or software to visualize the solid and compare your calculated volume to the visual representation.