Unread Marks Lost After Upgrade: Known Problem?

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, the known problem of "Unread Marks Lost After Upgrade" is when a user upgrades their software or system and their unread marks are lost or not transferred properly to the upgraded version. This is typically caused by compatibility issues or errors during the upgrade process. To prevent and retrieve lost unread marks, it is important to ensure a correct and compatible upgrade and to backup important data. There are also potential workarounds, such as clearing the cache and disabling custom settings or plugins.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
After the upgrade, just about everything seems to be counted as unread including posts from myself, apart from things which I have read since the upgrade. Is this a known problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
After the upgrade, just about everything seems to be counted as unread including posts from myself, apart from things which I have read since the upgrade. Is this a known problem?

Yes, just go to "Forums>Mark Forums Read".

1. What is the known problem of "Unread Marks Lost After Upgrade"?

The known problem of "Unread Marks Lost After Upgrade" is when a user upgrades their software or system, and their unread marks (which indicate which emails, messages, or documents have not been read yet) are lost or not transferred properly to the upgraded version.

2. What causes the issue of unread marks being lost after an upgrade?

The issue of unread marks being lost after an upgrade is typically caused by compatibility issues between the previous version and the upgraded version. This can also occur if there are errors during the upgrade process or if the upgrade is not done correctly.

3. How can I prevent losing unread marks after an upgrade?

To prevent losing unread marks after an upgrade, it is important to ensure that the upgrade is done correctly and that all necessary compatibility checks are performed beforehand. Backing up important data and settings before the upgrade can also help in case of any issues.

4. Is there a solution for retrieving lost unread marks after an upgrade?

Yes, there are a few potential solutions for retrieving lost unread marks after an upgrade. These can include performing a rollback to the previous version, restoring from a backup, or manually transferring the unread marks from the previous version to the upgraded version.

5. Are there any known workarounds for the issue of unread marks being lost after an upgrade?

Yes, there are some known workarounds that can help prevent or minimize the loss of unread marks after an upgrade. These include clearing the cache before the upgrade, disabling any custom settings or plugins that may interfere with the upgrade, and ensuring that all necessary updates and patches are installed before the upgrade.