What am I doing wrong in solving the heat equation in 2 dimensions?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the heat equation in 2 dimensions on a plate with homogenous Dirichlet conditions on the boundary and a given initial condition. The solution is found using separation of variables and results in a series solution. The constants Bmn are determined by applying the Fourier integral to the initial condition, and it is found that only the terms with m=1 and n=1 survive in the sum due to the orthogonality of sin-functions. This leads to the conclusion that when the initial condition has a certain "frequency", the solution for later times cannot be expressed as a superposition over other frequencies.
JohanL
Im trying to solve the heat equation in 2dim on a plate.
0=<x=<L, 0=<y=<L. With homogenous dirichlet conditions on the boundary and the initial condition:
T(x,y)=T0sin(pi*x/L)sin(pi*y/L)

With separation of variables i get the solution
[tex]
T(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}*exp[\frac{-(m^2+n^2)\pi^2kt}{L^2}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]
[/tex]

m,n integers and k the constant from the heat equation.

Now the initial condition determine the constants B_mn

[tex]
B_{mn} = \frac{4T_0}{L^2}*\int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L} sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{\pi y}{L}] sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}] dx dy
[/tex]

But an integral like
[tex]
\int_{0}^{L}sin\frac{\pi x}{L}sin\frac{m\pi x}{L}dx
[/tex]

is zero for m not equal to 1.
So m=1 and n=1...?
and with this i don't get a Fourier series as the solution...
What am i doing wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Bmn= 0" is not an initial condition! Your initial condition is that
[tex]T(x,y,0)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]= T_0sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{pi y}{L})[/tex]

Now, apply the Fourier integral to both sides of that.

HallsofIvy said:
"Bmn= 0" is not an initial condition! Your initial condition is that
[tex]T(x,y,0)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]= T_0sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{pi y}{L})[/tex]

Now, apply the Fourier integral to both sides of that.

I never said that Bmn= 0 is an initial condition, i said that the integral is zero for m NOT equal to one, because of the orthogonality of sin-functions.

Im not sure what you mean by applying the Fourier integral, i have only used that with Fourier transforms.

This is how i get the expression for Bmn:
I have the general solution

[tex]T(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty\sum_{n=0}^\infty B_{mn}*exp[\frac{-(m^2+n^2)\pi^2kt}{L^2}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}][/tex]

Then i expand the initial condition in the eigenfunctions

[tex](sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}])_{m,n=1}^{\infty}=\Psi
[/tex]

The initial condition is

[tex]f(x,y)=T_0sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{\pi y}{L})[/tex]

[tex]T(x,y,0)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\sum_{m=0}^\infty B_{mn}sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi y}{L}]= f(x,y)[/tex]

I multiply with the eigenfunctions and integrate over the domin to get an expression for Bmn:

[tex]B_{mn}=\frac{(f,\Psi)}{(\Psi,\Psi)}[/tex]

where the normalisation integral is

[tex](\Psi,\Psi) = \int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L}sin^2[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin^2[\frac{n\pi y}{L}] dxdy=L^2/4[/tex]

and

[tex](f,\Psi) = T_0*\int_{0}^{L}\int_{0}^{L} sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{\pi y}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}]dxdy[/tex]

this integral is

[tex](f,\Psi) = T_0\int_{0}^{L}sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]dx\int_{0}^{L} sin[\frac{\pi y}{L}]*sin[\frac{n\pi y}{L}]dy[/tex]

but for m not equal to 1

[tex]\int_{0}^{L}sin[\frac{\pi x}{L}]*sin[\frac{m\pi x}{L}]dx=\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{L}cos[\frac{(1-m) \pi x}{L}]dx+\int_{0}^{L}cos[\frac{(1+m)\pi x}{L}]dx=\frac{Lm*sin(m\pi)}{\pi-m^2\pi}=0[/tex]

and the same for the integral over y.
Therefor m and n has to be 1 and i don't get a series solution!

Im probably doing some silly misstakes, can you find them?

Last edited:
hmm, i was probably right from the beginning.
I got confused because i had never solved a problem before where this happens.

Is it like this? :
When you have a certain "frequency" as the initial condition you can't get a solution for later times as a superposition over other frequencies.
Thats why in this case only the terms with m=1,n=1 survived in the sum.

Related to What am I doing wrong in solving the heat equation in 2 dimensions?

What is the heat equation in 2 dimensions?

The heat equation in 2 dimensions is a partial differential equation that describes how temperature changes over time in a two-dimensional space. It takes into account factors such as heat transfer, thermal conductivity, and initial temperature distribution.

What are the applications of the heat equation in 2 dimensions?

The heat equation in 2 dimensions has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and material science. It can be used to model and predict heat distribution in objects, heat transfer in fluids, and temperature changes in electronic circuits, among others.

How is the heat equation in 2 dimensions solved?

The heat equation in 2 dimensions can be solved using various numerical methods such as finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively to obtain a numerical solution.

What are the boundary conditions for the heat equation in 2 dimensions?

The boundary conditions for the heat equation in 2 dimensions specify the behavior of temperature at the boundaries of the system. There are three types of boundary conditions: Dirichlet boundary condition (specifying a fixed temperature at the boundary), Neumann boundary condition (specifying a fixed heat flux at the boundary), and Robin boundary condition (a combination of Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions).

How does the heat equation in 2 dimensions differ from the heat equation in 1 dimension?

The heat equation in 2 dimensions differs from the heat equation in 1 dimension in that it takes into account heat transfer in two directions (x and y) instead of just one (x). This means that the heat equation in 2 dimensions is more complex and requires more computational power to solve compared to the 1-dimensional case.