What are the final pressure for the gas?

In summary, a 1.00-mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas initially at 1.00 atm and 15 degrees Celsius expands adiabatically to 2.00 times its initial volume. The final pressure and temperature for the gas can be found using the adiabatic expansion equation and the ideal gas equation.
itryphysics

Homework Statement

A 1.00-mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas, originally at 1.00 atm and 15 celcius, expands adiabatically to 2.00 times its initial volume.

What are the final pressure for the gas? (Assume no molecular vibration.)
What are the final temperature for the gas?

Homework Equations

lnP + gamma lnV = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use this equation and its the only one given in the adiabatic expansion section of my book. Can someone please guide me through. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I was able to solve for the final pressure. can you please show me how to find the final temperature. Thanks!

Just use the ideal gas equation again. You've know [tex]V_2 = 2V_1[/tex]

Last edited:

but the no numerical value for volume is given...

Use the ideal gas equation to find [tex]V_1[/tex]

You could also use the equation involving P, T and gamma. Using the ideal gas equation afterwards is a good check though.

What are the final pressure for the gas?

1. What factors affect the final pressure of a gas?

Factors such as volume, temperature, and number of moles can affect the final pressure of a gas. As the volume decreases, the pressure increases, and as the temperature increases, the pressure also increases. The number of moles also plays a role, as more molecules in a given volume will result in a higher pressure.

2. How is the final pressure of a gas calculated?

The final pressure of a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is equal to the number of moles multiplied by the gas constant, multiplied by the temperature, and divided by the volume.

3. Can the final pressure of a gas be higher than the initial pressure?

Yes, the final pressure of a gas can be higher than the initial pressure if the volume is decreased or the temperature is increased during the process. This is because the number of moles remains constant and the gas constant is also constant.

4. How does the final pressure of a gas change during a chemical reaction?

The final pressure of a gas can change during a chemical reaction due to changes in volume, temperature, and number of moles. If a gas is produced or consumed during the reaction, this will also impact the final pressure.

5. Why is it important to know the final pressure of a gas?

Knowing the final pressure of a gas is important for understanding the behavior and properties of gases, particularly in industrial and scientific applications. It can also help to predict the outcome of a chemical reaction and ensure safety in handling gases.