What are the intensity and wave properties of two simple wave problems?

• Thread starter saksham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the source emits 0.300 cm of sound energy in one hour, with a frequency of 8000 Hz. The wave has a maximum transverse speed of 6.00 cm/s and a deflection of a particle of the string at time t = 5 s and position x = 10 cm of -0.300 cm.
saksham
**** Intensity and spherical waves*****
Sound waves are spreading out equally in all directions from a points source. You measure an intensity of 0.026 W/m2 at a distance of 4.3 m from the source.
a) What is the intensity in a distance of 3.1 m from the source?

b) How much sound energy does the source emit in one hour assuming that the power output stays constant?

******Mathematical description of a wave:******

A transverse wave on a string can be described by:
Y(x,t)= A cos [k(x-vt)]

a) Find the maximum transverse speed vy of a particle of the string. Under that circumstances is it equal to the propagation speed of the wave?

b) The wave has an amplitude of 0.300 cm, wavelength 12.0 cm, and speed 6.00 cm/s. What is its frequency? What is the deflection of a particle of the string at time t = 5 s and position x = 10 cm?

Please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
saksham said:
**** Intensity and spherical waves*****
Sound waves are spreading out equally in all directions from a points source. You measure an intensity of 0.026 W/m2 at a distance of 4.3 m from the source.
a) What is the intensity in a distance of 3.1 m from the source?

b) How much sound energy does the source emit in one hour assuming that the power output stays constant?

For a., can you not use the fact that intensity is inversely proportional to area? I = P/A^2=> IA^2 = P. Seeing as it is the same point source, the power will be the same. You can then write I1(A1)^2 = I2(A2)^2 and use this to find I2 (I1, A1 being the intensity and area at 4.3 m, I2 and A2 being the intensity and area at 3.1 m). The waves will spread out over a sphere, so use the distances you're given as the radii of the spheres and you can calculate the area. At least, I think that's how you would do it.

b. Use P = E/t and get the power from the information you're given above.

Not sure about the wave equations, so sorry about that.

Thanks Nylex!

Could anyone solve the other one for me, please! I need it desperately.

Help me people! I have to meet the deadline tomorrow.

Related to What are the intensity and wave properties of two simple wave problems?

1. What are the two simple wave problems?

The two simple wave problems are the amplitude and frequency of a wave. The amplitude is the height of the wave, while the frequency is the number of complete cycles the wave makes in a given time period.

2. How are amplitude and frequency related?

Amplitude and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating wave speed?

The formula for calculating wave speed is v = λ*f, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

4. Can you have a high frequency and a small amplitude?

Yes, it is possible to have a high frequency and a small amplitude. This would result in a wave with a short wavelength and a low energy level.

5. How do you measure the amplitude of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave can be measured by finding the distance from the equilibrium point (the resting position of the wave) to the crest (highest point) or trough (lowest point) of the wave.