1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What are Van der Waals interactions?

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So basically I'm sort of unclear as to what van der walls interactions are and how they occur...like I know that they're a type of noncovalent bond that occurs between identical groups in two molecules.
    Like, how do the partial charges appear? (e.g. lets say there are 2 hydrogen groups, i thought that they both have partial positive charges, how does one get induced with a partial negative charge...? Something to do with their orientation at a certain time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2
    "Van der waals" interactions apply to a wide range of phenomenon, essentially all molecular scale forces that aren't covalent or ionic bonds.
    The most common example--London forces--are due to quantum mechanical effects. Even if an atom is neutral in a molecule, or has a certain partial-charge, due to statistics and quantum mechanics it will occasionally change its charge distribution so as to create a small field that is attracted or repelled by neighboring atoms.

Its only a steady-state phenomenon when you consider a large ensemble of particles. If you have (e.g.) a mole of noble gas X, at any given time a large number of molecules will have an 'instantaneous' dipole, and interact with neighboring molecules. Overall this looks like a constant net interaction in the gas.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook