What are Z+, Z-, N+, and N- in the Axial Charge Definition?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the variables Z+, Z-, N+, and N- and how to calculate them with spin consideration. The article mentioned that axial charge will be zero when the nuclei has zero spin. The group is also discussing about predicting the spin of Germanium 73, as well as identifying the values of Z+ and Z- or N+ and N- in order to calculate the value of G_A.
angweieng
TL;DR Summary
Understand N+, N-, Z+, and Z- and how to calculate them with spin consideration.
Hi all,

I was trying to understand an equation where:
axial charge, ##G_A=g^P_A(Z_+-Z_-)+ g^N_A(N_+-N_-)##

What is the meaning of ##Z_+## , ##Z_-##, ##N_+## and ##N_-##? From the article I read, axial charge will be zero when the nuclei has zero spin. What if I have Germanium 73 which has (9/2+) spin? How do I calculate for ##Z_+## , ##Z_-##, ##N_+## and ##N_-##?

##g^P_A## and ## g^N_A## here have constant values.

I don't have background of high energy physics but need the equation for my work, I really appreciate any help for this! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
angweieng said:
Summary:: Understand N+, N-, Z+, and Z- and how to calculate them with spin consideration.

From the article I read, axial charge will be zero when the nuclei has zero spin.
What article was one reading?
angweieng said:
Summary:: Understand N+, N-, Z+, and Z- and how to calculate them with spin consideration.

What if I have Germanium 73 which has (9/2+) spin?

Wouldn't the Z+,Z-;N+,N- be the number of spin states (+,-) respectively, where Z and N represent the number of protons and neutrons, respectively, in those spin states? To have a spin +9/2, means the 9 nucleons are unpaired.

Is one asking how to predict 73Ge will have +9/2 spin?

Is one particularly interested in 73Ge? 93Nb and 113In are also stable odd(Z)-even(N) nuclides with +9/2.

Likes angweieng
Astronuc said:
What article was one reading?Wouldn't the Z+,Z-;N+,N- be the number of spin states (+,-) respectively, where Z and N represent the number of protons and neutrons, respectively, in those spin states? To have a spin +9/2, means the 9 nucleons are unpaired.

Is one asking how to predict 73Ge will have +9/2 spin?

Is one particularly interested in 73Ge? 93Nb and 113In are also stable odd(Z)-even(N) nuclides with +9/2.
Hi, thank you so much, the reason I ask to identify the ##Z_+## and ##Z_-## or ##N_+## and ##N_-## because I wish to calculate ##G_A## value. Assuming that I know the constant values of ##g^p_A## and ##g^N_A##, what is the ##Z_+## and ##Z_-## or ##N_+## and ##N_-##?

Now I understand that ##Z_+## and ##Z_-## mean the number of proton with spin up and spin down (same goes to neutron). In my case, my interested isotope is Ge73. In this case can I assumed that:
##Z_+## = 16, ##Z_-## = 16
##N_+## = 21, ##N_-## =20

Is it correct? Thank you so much again.

1. What is the definition of Z+, Z-, N+, and N- in the Axial Charge Definition?

Z+, Z-, N+, and N- are terms used in particle physics to describe the axial charge of a particle. The axial charge is a measure of the particle's spin and its interaction with the weak nuclear force.

2. How are Z+, Z-, N+, and N- related to the weak nuclear force?

Z+, Z-, N+, and N- are related to the weak nuclear force because they are used to describe the axial charge of particles, which determines their interaction with this force. Particles with a non-zero axial charge are able to interact with the weak nuclear force, while particles with a zero axial charge do not.

3. What is the difference between Z+ and Z- in the Axial Charge Definition?

Z+ and Z- are two different types of axial charge. Z+ is associated with particles that have a positive axial charge, while Z- is associated with particles that have a negative axial charge. These two types of axial charge have different effects on the interaction of particles with the weak nuclear force.

4. How is the Axial Charge Definition used in particle physics research?

The Axial Charge Definition is used in particle physics research to understand the behavior and interactions of particles, particularly in relation to the weak nuclear force. By measuring the axial charge of particles, scientists can better understand how they interact with other particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Can Z+, Z-, N+, and N- change in value for a particle?

Yes, the axial charge of a particle can change in value. This can happen through various processes, such as interactions with other particles or through the decay of a particle into different particles with different axial charges. The change in axial charge can have significant effects on the behavior and interactions of the particle.