What areas of study does electrical engineering cover

This is my best guess, would this be correct? Electrical engineering is about physics and electronic circuits mostly, and quite a bit of math, and a little chemistry, a small amount of that. Does electrical engineering involve anything else?

Pythagorean

excitation
Gold Member
I haven't seen any chemistry in EE yet. Here are the branches of EE at my University:

Power/Control - motors, generators, and control systems, transmission lines

Digital - Logic circuits (very simple computers)

Computer Engineering

Communications (electromagnetic waves)

All of the branches involve general circuit theory too, of course, including transistors and signal analysis.

and quite a bit of math
Not a bit but a lot, especially in Engineering Electromagnetics and in Communication Systems and in Microwave Engineering.

I think there are a little chemistry in High Voltage.

Your starting curriculum will typically include two semesters of introductory chemistry along with one semester each of Newtonian modern physics. You'll typically have a couple of semesters of English, History, and Liberal studies (just for torture). Then, all the math up to and including diff eq, linear systems, and calc III. You'll likely get a smattering of the other schools of study such as a semester each of static structures, dynamic structures, and thermodynamics.

Then, you're ready to dig into electronics :)

Basics include circuit theory, linear systems (good for understanding control and communications systems), motors / generators, numerical methods (using computers with math to solve problems).

A little higher is electromagnetic fields and waves (a fairly tough course - lots of math), control systems, semiconductor circuits, digital design

Finally, you get to choose what you want to concentrate on for your career: communications, signal processing, programming, advanced control systems, logic design (a very profitable one these days), power electronics (my original direction), bio-med.

A heads up is in order. It's hard for a newbee to break into a good job without a Masters. Generally, a BSEE has to settle for a rotten job, put in a few years, and develop his talent. I've seen guys go home at night and teach themselves the specialty that helps them break into a good paying job, but that takes talent.

A Masters degree is a different story altogether. Get a Masters in a desirable field and you don't have to compete nearly as much.

I wish you well,

Mike

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses