Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What areas of study does electrical engineering cover

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    This is my best guess, would this be correct? Electrical engineering is about physics and electronic circuits mostly, and quite a bit of math, and a little chemistry, a small amount of that. Does electrical engineering involve anything else?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I haven't seen any chemistry in EE yet. Here are the branches of EE at my University:

Power/Control - motors, generators, and control systems, transmission lines

Digital - Logic circuits (very simple computers)

Computer Engineering

Communications (electromagnetic waves)

All of the branches involve general circuit theory too, of course, including transistors and signal analysis.

4. Dec 25, 2009 #3
    Not a bit but a lot, especially in Engineering Electromagnetics and in Communication Systems and in Microwave Engineering.

I think there are a little chemistry in High Voltage.

5. Dec 25, 2009 #4
    Your starting curriculum will typically include two semesters of introductory chemistry along with one semester each of Newtonian modern physics. You'll typically have a couple of semesters of English, History, and Liberal studies (just for torture). Then, all the math up to and including diff eq, linear systems, and calc III. You'll likely get a smattering of the other schools of study such as a semester each of static structures, dynamic structures, and thermodynamics.

Then, you're ready to dig into electronics :)

Basics include circuit theory, linear systems (good for understanding control and communications systems), motors / generators, numerical methods (using computers with math to solve problems).

A little higher is electromagnetic fields and waves (a fairly tough course - lots of math), control systems, semiconductor circuits, digital design

Finally, you get to choose what you want to concentrate on for your career: communications, signal processing, programming, advanced control systems, logic design (a very profitable one these days), power electronics (my original direction), bio-med.

A heads up is in order. It's hard for a newbee to break into a good job without a Masters. Generally, a BSEE has to settle for a rotten job, put in a few years, and develop his talent. I've seen guys go home at night and teach themselves the specialty that helps them break into a good paying job, but that takes talent.

A Masters degree is a different story altogether. Get a Masters in a desirable field and you don't have to compete nearly as much.

I wish you well,

Mike

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook