What can be calculated from a trolly rolling down an inclined plane?

In summary: The difference between my calculated and theoretical values increases as the angle of the slope increases.
Anyone

Homework Statement

Not a problem but an experiment were I have not been told what I need to calculate.

I have a trolley rolling down an inclined plane. We recorded the speed(light gates) at two different points and all distances involved(height of plane, distance between gates etc). We did not record the mass of the trolley.

So far I think I can calculate
acceleration of the trolley using a = (v^2 -u^2)/(2*s)
acceleration due to gravity(approx) using a = g sinѳ

Does this seem correct? Is there any thing else I can work out from the information I have? What if I could get the mass of the trolley? I am just unsure about what else I should be looking for.

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone said:
So far I think I can calculate
acceleration of the trolley using a = (v^2 -u^2)/(2*s)
acceleration due to gravity(approx) using a = g sinѳ
What is the difference between the 'acceleration of the trolley' that you calculate using the kinematic equation based on your measurement of v, and the 'aceleration due to gravity = (approx) g sin theta'?

PhanthomJay said:
What is the difference between the 'acceleration of the trolley' that you calculate using the kinematic equation based on your measurement of v, and the 'aceleration due to gravity = (approx) g sin theta'?

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I found g using g=a/sinѳ

Anyone said:
Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I found g using g=a/sinѳ
That's what i mean. If you divide your calculted "a" by sin theta, you should, in the ideal case without friction or air drag, get a value of 'g' of 9.8m/sec^2 or 32ft/sec^2, depending on what system of measure and units you are using. How close does your calculated value of 'a' compare to the theoretical value of 'g sin theta'? If they are not the same, how do you explain why they are not the same?

My values are off by about 2-3m/sec^2 with the difference decreaseing as the angle of the plane increases. This is down to friction(air and wheels).

Is it possible to work out the coefficent of friction if I had the mass? I know all the other values so I can work out the difference between my recorded values and the results i would get if there was no friction or air resistance. And would the coefficient change as the angle of the slope was changed?

Anyone said:
My values are off by about 2-3m/sec^2 with the difference decreaseing as the angle of the plane increases. This is down to friction(air and wheels).

Is it possible to work out the coefficent of friction if I had the mass? I know all the other values so I can work out the difference between my recorded values and the results i would get if there was no friction or air resistance. And would the coefficient change as the angle of the slope was changed?
That's a pretty significant difference, which might also, in addition to rolling and axle friction and air drag, include an error in your recording of the velocity as it passed the light gate. The error tends to decrease as the angle increases, since the gravitational acceleratation becomes larger and starts to dwarf the frictional resistance. At small angles, the trolley might not even move if the axle friction is high. Such theoretical values of friction and air drag would be tough to calculate; I'd first check your velocity measurements. How much is the difference when say the angle is 45 degrees or more?

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a trolley rolling down an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a trolley rolling down an inclined plane is a = g*sin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the incline.

2. How do I calculate the force of friction acting on a trolley rolling down an inclined plane?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = mu * Fn, where mu is the coefficient of friction and Fn is the normal force (equal to the weight of the trolley).

3. Can the mass of the trolley affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

Yes, the mass of the trolley can affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. The greater the mass of the trolley, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, which can result in a greater acceleration down the incline.

4. Is it possible to calculate the final velocity of a trolley rolling down an inclined plane?

Yes, the final velocity of a trolley rolling down an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity (usually 0 m/s), a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of a trolley rolling down it?

The angle of the incline can greatly affect the acceleration of a trolley rolling down it. As the angle increases, the component of gravity acting parallel to the incline also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration. However, once the angle becomes too steep, the trolley may experience slipping or sliding due to the force of friction becoming insufficient to counteract the component of gravity.