What can I buy as an alternative to lab filters?

In summary, the conversation discussed different options for paper filters and their thickness for a chemistry experiment involving making casein glue from skim milk. The individual suggested using stacked paper towels, silk, cheesecloth, or microfilament cleaning cloths as alternatives to coffee filters. Another idea was to use paper lens wipes or a ball of cotton in a funnel.
mishima
I have tried using coffee filters in the past but they seem to be too thick. The ones I have are 300 g / m^2. Just looking on wikipedia they say filters actually made for chemistry are 80 g / m^2. What other paper can I buy in a rush, in a pinch, from a place like Wal-mart that will be a suitable filter? Thanks.

I suppose I should mention the specific experiment we are doing this time is making casein glue from skim milk.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
what about stacked paper towels?

By stacked I mean 2 or more paper towels for proper thickness.

You also might be able to get some silk as an alternative.

Would cheesecloth work for your application?

Thanks for the suggestions, the coffee filters actually ended up not posing a problem this time.

Paper lens wipes (sans methanol). Get the ones that leave no lint.

A ball of cotton stuck in the funnel.

Alkim said:
A ball of cotton stuck in the funnel.

thats a good one expecially using the funnel for less mess.

1. Can I use coffee filters as an alternative to lab filters?

It is not recommended to use coffee filters as an alternative to lab filters. Coffee filters are not designed to withstand harsh chemicals and may not have the necessary pore size to filter out small particles.

2. Are paper towels a suitable alternative to lab filters?

No, paper towels are not suitable alternatives to lab filters. They are not designed to filter chemicals and may not have the required pore size to filter out small particles.

3. Can I use cheesecloth as an alternative to lab filters?

Cheesecloth may be used as a temporary alternative to lab filters, but it is not ideal. Cheesecloth is not as durable as lab filters and may not have the necessary pore size to filter out small particles.

4. Is there a DIY alternative to lab filters?

There are some DIY alternatives to lab filters, such as using a cotton cloth or a strainer, but they may not be as effective as lab filters. It is best to use proper lab filters for accurate and reliable results.

5. Are nylon stockings a good alternative to lab filters?

Nylon stockings may be used as a temporary alternative to lab filters, but they are not designed for laboratory use and may not have the required pore size to filter out small particles. It is best to use proper lab filters for accurate and reliable results.