What can I buy as an alternative to lab filters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mishima
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Filters Lab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
mishima
Messages
576
Reaction score
43
I have tried using coffee filters in the past but they seem to be too thick. The ones I have are 300 g / m^2. Just looking on wikipedia they say filters actually made for chemistry are 80 g / m^2. What other paper can I buy in a rush, in a pinch, from a place like Wal-mart that will be a suitable filter? Thanks.

I suppose I should mention the specific experiment we are doing this time is making casein glue from skim milk.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
what about stacked paper towels?

By stacked I mean 2 or more paper towels for proper thickness.

You also might be able to get some silk as an alternative.
 
Thanks for the suggestions, the coffee filters actually ended up not posing a problem this time.
 
Paper lens wipes (sans methanol). Get the ones that leave no lint.