What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,101
I worked all day with the truckers and the excavator-guy putting in a new leach field, so supper had to be short and sweet. No problem! I gutted a deer for a squeamish neighbor a few days ago, and he told me to take the heart and the liver. We've got thin-sliced heart and liver packaged up, and tonight, we feasted on both, along with a baked potato and some garden carrots. To cook venison organ-meats, dust them in salt and pepper, and pre-heat a cast iron skillet. When the skillet is hot drop in a good dollop of butter, and toss in the slices of heart and liver. Keep the pan hot and brown the meats until bright blood no longer surfaces on the slices. Transfer to a room-temperature plate to stop or at least slow the internal cooking processes, and serve immediately. When I loaded the skillet, my wife said "you're cooking too much". Guess what? There are no left-overs. The heart was very tasty and the liver was to die for. There are a couple of small bags of venison heart in the freezer. Luckily, livers are larger. Mmmm!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,102
turbo-1 said:
I worked all day with the truckers and the excavator-guy putting in a new leach field, so supper had to be short and sweet. No problem! I gutted a deer for a squeamish neighbor a few days ago, and he told me to take the heart and the liver. We've got thin-sliced heart and liver packaged up, and tonight, we feasted on both, along with a baked potato and some garden carrots. To cook venison organ-meats, dust them in salt and pepper, and pre-heat a cast iron skillet. When the skillet is hot drop in a good dollop of butter, and toss in the slices of heart and liver. Keep the pan hot and brown the meats until bright blood no longer surfaces on the slices. Transfer to a room-temperature plate to stop or at least slow the internal cooking processes, and serve immediately. When I loaded the skillet, my wife said "you're cooking too much". Guess what? There are no left-overs. The heart was very tasty and the liver was to die for. There are a couple of small bags of venison heart in the freezer. Luckily, livers are larger. Mmmm!
Mmmmmm! I envy you!

I roasted one of the turkeys tonight and I'm making giblet gravy, the liver is almost all gone between me and my dog. I thought his eyeballs would fall out when I gave him the first tidbit of liver.

Ooooh, this turkey is so moist and flavorful. I was afraid for 40 cents per pound it might not be good. It's awesome.

Last edited:
  • #2,103
Evo said:
Mmmmmm! I envy you!

I roasted one of the turkeys tonight and I'm making giblet gravy, the liver is almost all gone between me and my dog. I thought his eyeballs would fall out when I gave him the first tidbit of liver.
He would kill you for the first taste of white-tail liver! It is the most wonderful delicacy, and you can cut it with a fork if you know how to prepare it. With calves liver, turkey liver, etc, I generally saute some onion and peppers to accompany the meat. NEVER with deer-liver. It's just too good as-is.

• #2,104
turbo-1 said:
He would kill you for the first taste of white-tail liver! It is the most wonderful delicacy, and you can cut it with a fork if you know how to prepare it. With calves liver, turkey liver, etc, I generally saute some onion and peppers to accompany the meat. NEVER with deer-liver. It's just too good as-is.
I do calves liver sliced very thin, dredged in seasoned flour, then sauteed in bacon drippping and cooked with thinly sliced onions until they fall apart. People I serve it to that hate liver think it's steak, and demand more.

• #2,105
Evo said:
I do calves liver sliced very thin, dredged in seasoned flour, then sauteed in bacon drippping and cooked with thinly sliced onions until they fall apart. People I serve it to that hate liver think it's steak, and demand more.
I hesitate to call that the "French" way, but my mother and aunts treated calves liver the same way. Dredged in flour that was heavily seasoned with salt and pepper, and fried fast and hot in rendered pork fats from bacon or salt-pork. I had a younger sister that hated liver, and I tried to sit next to her on liver-nights so I could "steal" hers. Coming up with diversions was tough, because she was very vocal about NOT liking liver and our parents wanted to make sure we all got a balanced diet with vitamins, minerals, etc. Unfortunately for her, liver was often served on the same night that we got canned spinach, and she hated them both. I liked steamed fresh spinach OK, but there's no way I was going to take a hit for her and eat her big gloppy spoonful of the nasty canned spinach, so she was often hanging about at the kitchen table long after everyone else had been excused. Paradoxically, this was the same sister that LOVED the powdered "mashed" potatoes that the school lunch program served. Yuck! She ate the paste in Kindergarten, too, so no surprises, really.

• #2,106
I was watching Ina Garten today and she made a light "French" potato salad with vinegar and herbs instead of mayonaise, so I decided to make a version of it and it was superb! I used apple cider vinegar, which I think is a bit too strong, she used champagne vinegar, but mine was still delicious. I think I will experiment with different vinegars.

I made one with vinegar, olive oil and tarragon and Morton's seasoned salt. And another with the addition of basil, savory, marjoram, thyme and oregano.

I don't know that I can ever go back to mayonaise based potato salad now. This is SO GOOD.

• #2,107
Revisiting the cutlery issue, here is an image of the most-used knives in my kitchen. At the top is a Thiers-Issard 6" chef's knife. At ~$75 it's not a cheap knife, but the workmanship, balance and overall quality are top-notch. There is a high-carbon steel version available, but if you are going to buy just one, get the stainless version, seen here. I cut a lot of acidic materials, including tomatoes, citrus fruits for sauces, etc, and the SS model is the better choice, since acids erode the edge on carbon-steel knives, effectively dulling them. This is my favorite knife, by far.

Below are some knives that my wife picked up on a couple of visits to the local TJMaxx. A 4" Kuhn Rikon mini chef's knife in carbon steel, a 4" Acuto in SS, and two 3" Acuto paring knives in SS. None of the 4 "cheap" knives cost more than $5, and they are all quite nice at that price-point. The Kuhn Rikon takes and holds an edge beautifully, and the combination of the transition from the thicker blade to the ground edge AND the non-stick coating make it a nice little knife when you are cutting vegetables or fruits that tend to stick to the blade. The contour of the handle is pretty comfortable to my hand, as well. The Acutos are the least expensive of all. The SS blades are reasonably easy to sharpen and hold an edge OK if you don't abuse them. Despite the non-stick resin coatings, the flat sides of the blades allow materials to stick to the blade without releasing cleanly. Other niggles - the handles are not large enough to fit my hand well, and the plastic sheaths slip off too easily. Still, at a couple of bucks each, they are worth the out-lay, and they get used regularly. My wife has smaller hands and tends to grab these little knives preferentially.

I have a fairly large knife-block with Chicago Cutlery knives, steel, etc. They are heavy hickory-handled SS knives that got aimed at the consumer markets once health departments started requiring that butchers, restaurants, etc abandon wooden handles, blocks, etc, and go to polyethylene cutting surfaces and molded plastic handles. The butcher knife, 10" chef's knife, and fillet knife all get used for their special purposes, but for all-around use the Thiers-Issard 6" chef's knife sees more use than all the Chicago Cutlery knives combined. The Chicago paring knife and other small blades hardly get used now that the Kuhn Rikon and Acuto knives are in the arsenal.

cutlery.jpg

• #2,108
For supper, I just had nachos dressed with D.L. Jardine's Habanero salsa. That is the absolute best commercially-made salsa that I have tasted. Try it out.

• #2,109
turbo-1 said:
I gutted a deer for a squeamish neighbor a few days ago, and he told me to take the heart and the liver.

I'm trying to figure out how someone too squeamish to gut their own deer could be a hunter in the first place. :confused: You should have demanded one of the tenderloins as a fee rather than some organs.

I've never tried heart, and really don't have any desire to do so.

I can't stand liver, can't even be in the house if someone is cooking it (went to a party once and they served up some fancy crackers with liver pate on them...:yuck:...it tasted like liverwurst, the nastiest food on the planet).

When I get chicken, I cook up the organs in the water I put in the roasting pan to help flavor the gravy more, but the hearts seem really tough. I chop the organs up to offer to Ember, but she seems to have no interest in them (she eats liver in her canned food, so I thought fresh would be better, but there must be something else in the canned version that makes it edible).

• #2,110
Moonbear said:
I'm trying to figure out how someone too squeamish to gut their own deer could be a hunter in the first place. :confused: You should have demanded one of the tenderloins as a fee rather than some organs.

I've never tried heart, and really don't have any desire to do so.

I can't stand liver, can't even be in the house if someone is cooking it (went to a party once and they served up some fancy crackers with liver pate on them...:yuck:...it tasted like liverwurst, the nastiest food on the planet).

When I get chicken, I cook up the organs in the water I put in the roasting pan to help flavor the gravy more, but the hearts seem really tough. I chop the organs up to offer to Ember, but she seems to have no interest in them (she eats liver in her canned food, so I thought fresh would be better, but there must be something else in the canned version that makes it edible).
OMG, I love braunschweiger! I mix it half and half with cream cheese, sometimes add a bit of butter and spread it on soft boiled bagels.

My first step mother-in-law was Jewish and the most awesome cook in the world, ever. Her chopped chicken livers were to die for.

• #2,111
Moonbear said:
The heart and the liver are primo. I'd rather have those than tenderloins - especially the liver. When I was a kid, when my father or I got a deer, we'd feast on the heart and liver. It was a pretty big treat.

• #2,112
Evo said:
OMG, I love braunschweiger! I mix it half and half with cream cheese, sometimes add a bit of butter and spread it on soft boiled bagels.

My first step mother-in-law was Jewish and the most awesome cook in the world, ever. Her chopped chicken livers were to die for.
I grew up in a French-Canadian family and we had some pretty awesome cooks. One of my aunts made goose-liver pate that you'd die for. It was so smooth, spreadable, and wonderful-tasting that it would go with any combo on the appetizer-table. I thought that it was a travesty to mix it with cheeses, meats, etc. Just pate on a cracker was tops for me.

• #2,113
Moonbear said:
I didn't "demand" anything and gladly gutted the buck for him. He and his wife want steaks, roast, and burger all packaged up. He wanted me to take the heart and liver, and I was thrilled to do so in return for a few minutes' work. If I had stripped out a tenderloin he wouldn't have been any the wiser, but I wouldn't do that to him. My wife loves deer-liver, too, and is really happy with the exchange. One time, I shot a deer late in the day, gutted it, and hauled it out of the woods that evening, and she demanded that I head back down there the next morning because I had left the liver lying next to the gut-pile. Won't make that mistake again! Actually, I have always loved venison liver, but overlooked it when it was getting really dark and cold and I needed to get home.

• #2,114
This perhaps the best commercially-produced salsa that I have ever had.

http://jardinefoods.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=13910&cid=2871

I made a sandwich for supper tonight with breakfast sausage patty and scrambled egg on a toasted English muffin and dressed it with this salsa. It is very good.

I prefer my own home-made salsas, but this stuff is pretty good. My brother sent it up because it is too hot for him, so I gave it a whirl. It's good on cheesy nachos, too. The stuff is not cheap, but If you enjoy spicy salsas and don't have access to some good home-made stuff, this is a nice alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,115
I want to know how the "Mexican" lunch counter at work can crank out food completely devoid of flavour, but is annoyingly hot. I've never encountered anything like it. The shredded chicken they used tasted like water. I'm not kidding. Try to imagine solid, chewy, unfrozen water. I think they've discovered a technique to extract flavor from food that is hitherto unknown to mankind. I kept eating the chicken amazed by the taste of chlorinted water. Someone suggested that they must soak the chicken in a weak bleach solutuion for a prolonged period.

I just know that I will never buy food from them again and I'm amazed that people are buying this crap, although there is never a line.

• #2,116
Evo said:
... although there is never a line.

I think you have your answer.

There must be some commercial source of flavorless sliced chicken for cafeterias, because our cafeteria gets that too. All the other meats are okay, and even the regular chicken breasts are passable even if over-cooked and tough, but whenever they serve something with sliced chicken on it, it's totally tasteless. This gets put out from time to time as a filling in wraps or a topping for salads. I keep wondering if it's that tofu chicken-like substance rather than actual chicken.

• #2,117
Evo said:
I want to know how the "Mexican" lunch counter at work can crank out food completely devoid of flavour, but is annoyingly hot. I've never encountered anything like it. The shredded chicken they used tasted like water. I'm not kidding. Try to imagine solid, chewy, unfrozen water. I think they've discovered a technique to extract flavor from food that is hitherto unknown to mankind. I kept eating the chicken amazed by the taste of chlorinted water. Someone suggested that they must soak the chicken in a weak bleach solutuion for a prolonged period.

I just know that I will never buy food from them again and I'm amazed that people are buying this crap, although there is never a line.

That's pretty much what 99% of "Mexican" restaurant food tastes like down here. Every time I see their "beans" for example, I cringe. :yuck: Atrocious.

You summed it up nicely.

• #2,118
I didn't feel like eating anything heavy yesterday, so I just made soup out of the smoked turkey carcass. That's all I had to eat. It was very nice. After cooking the carcass and removing it with a striner (there are approximately 5 billion tiny bones in a turkey carcass), I added some canned petite diced tomatoes and an assortment of dried beans with beef bouillion. I always add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of green split peas to this style soup as a thickener, also gives a pleasant flavor.

• #2,119
I've never really liked most Thanksgiving food, especially turkey, but still wanted to make something that felt "traditional". So we looked up some recipes for medieval food. We made Poullaille Farcie (stuffed chicken) with meatballs, asparagus, and Frumenty (sweet cracked wheat). To drink, I made spiced cider with rum. And for dessert, poached pears.

Poullaille Farcie:

Whole chicken
Savory
Saffron
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Parsnips
Butter
Stuffing (below)

Chicken was stuffed, coated with herbs, and roasted, basted frequently with butter. Veggies were put in the bottom of the roasting pan, to absorb drippings and caramelize. They were made into their own side dish at the end by deglazing with Vermouth and reducing.

Stuffing:

Ground beef
Shredded chicken thighs
Onions
Beef broth
Savory
Cinnamon
Cloves
Saffron
Fennel bulb
Cooked chestnuts (they come pre-cooked in a jar!)
Eggs
Bread crumbs

Chicken thighs and beef were cooked ahead of time the night before, with beef stock, savory, cinnamon and cloves (i.e., chicken was cooked in stock and spices and then shredded after it cooled). Then excess liquid was reserved, and diced fennel bulb, chestnuts, egg, and breadcrumbs were added to give the right consistency. After stuffing the chicken, remaining stuffing was formed into meat balls, placed on a cookie sheet, and saffron sprinkled on top.

You can roast your own chestnuts if you like. We didn't really have that kind of time.

Asparagus:

No complicated ingredient list here, just asparagus. We chopped off the bottom inch or so, and peeled the lower half so as to get rid of the unwanted fibrous part. It's not really asparagus season, so all that was at the store was pretty thick. This is the last dish we cooked, because it is the most time-sensitive. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Then drop the asparagus in (I covered the pot also, but I have glass lids so I can see what's going on). Within about 5 minutes, it will turn a much brighter shade of green, and that's when it's done. Poke it with a fork maybe to test tenderness.

Frumenty:

Bulgur wheat
Cooked chestnuts
Dried cranberries
Cinnamon
Cloves
Fennel stalks
Beef stock (2:1 ratio to wheat)
Milk and/or cream

Simple enough. Here we used the beef stock that we had reserved from the stuffing, above, plus more fresh beef stock to bring it up to the 2:1 ratio. Put in all ingredients except milk, laying the fennel stalks on top (they will be removed later). Simmer for 20 minutes or so until it fluffs up. Remove fennel stalks. Then add milk and cook for a brief period more on lower heat (don't let the milk boil). I added only a token amount of milk...I think the dish is supposed to be creamier. It still tasted great.

Spiced cider:

Apple cider
Cinnamon sticks
Whole cloves
Fresh ginger
Allspice
Nutmeg
Juniper berries
Red pepper
Dark rum

For 1/2 gallon of apple cider (standard size of most juice bottles in the US), I put in 2-3 cinnamon sticks, 2/3 teaspoon cloves, 2/3 teaspoon allspice, 2/3 teaspoon juniper berries, about 1.5 inches of sliced ginger, and dashes of the rest. You don't need to peel the ginger, just slice it into moderately thin slices. Put everything except the rum into a pot and simmer it for 1/2 an hour. To serve, put a shot of rum in a mug, then pour cider through a strainer to fill.

Poached Pears:

Pears
Wine

Very easy, and it can cook while you're eating dinner. I sliced the pears into quarters and cut out the cores. You can peel them if you like. Then simmer them in wine for 1/2 an hour or so. The precise timing is not important. Use whatever kind of wine you like...I think a red wine makes them turn out beautiful, as the pears will absorb the color. We used a cheap Beaujolais, since they're on sale everywhere around Thanksgiving. By the time they're done, there will be no alcohol left in the wine, and the pears will sweeten it. If it's not sweet enough, I guess you can add honey or something, but I thought it was great as-is.

• #2,120
Even though some of the ingredients listed did not exist in medieval Europe, it sounds very nice. You sound like someone fun to cook with.

• #2,121
Evo said:
Even though some of the ingredients listed did not exist in medieval Europe, it sounds very nice. You sound like someone fun to cook with.

Yeah, cranberries, allspice, red pepper, and rum are out of place. For more authenticity, one could use raisins, skip the allspice and red pepper altogether, and use some other liquor or perhaps fortified wine.

• #2,122
Ben Niehoff said:
Yeah, cranberries, allspice, red pepper, and rum are out of place. For more authenticity, one could use raisins, skip the allspice and red pepper altogether, and use some other liquor or perhaps fortified wine.
I'd rather have the cranberries and rum. :biggrin:

• #2,123
Ben Niehoff said:
We all make compromises in the kitchen, and "rules" regarding ethnic or historical "correctness" should never get in the way of a good meal. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, Ben. I would have liked to have been at the table, though our Thanksgiving was REALLY good.

My favorite treat was clam dip with Lays ruffled chips. Hmm, the Pilgrims probably didn't have cream cheese, baby clams, lemon, or any of the other stuff in the dip. 40 lashes for not being "traditional"!

• #2,124
I would bet the Pilgrims did have clams, perhaps even baby ones. Though I'm not sure they would have had them in winter.

• #2,125
Ben Niehoff said:
I would bet the Pilgrims did have clams, perhaps even baby ones. Though I'm not sure they would have had them in winter.
They probably did have clams and mussels, since those bivalves were well-known in Europe. For a VERY long time, though, they did not eat lobsters. They would collect them along the shore after a strong storm-surge and use them as fertilizer. Only the poor would eat them. Fools!

• #2,126
turbo-1 said:
They probably did have clams and mussels, since those bivalves were well-known in Europe. For a VERY long time, though, they did not eat lobsters. They would collect them along the shore after a strong storm-surge and use them as fertilizer. Only the poor would eat them. Fools!
They ate eels by the basketfull though.

• #2,127
From the Thanksgiving thread, for Monique.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe

Graham Cracker Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs*
1/3 cup ground toasted walnuts
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

* Finely ground ginger cookies may be substituted for all or part of the graham cracker crumbs.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and position rack in center of oven (too high or too low of rack placement will cause baking problems). Lightly grease (butter) a 9-inch springform pan.

In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, walnuts, sugar, and butter. Mix well and press firmly onto bottom of prepared springform pan. Bake 7 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from oven and cool crust completely on a wire rack. Maintain oven temperature.

Pumpkin Filling:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature*
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (either canned or homemade)

* To quickly bring cream cheese to room temperature, place unwrapped packages in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds or until slightly softened. Do not let it melt or get warm. Refrigerate if it does.
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add sour cream and whipping cream; beat, on low speed, just until smooth. Mix in cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and flour. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition; beat in pumpkin puree. NOTE: Do not over beat the mixture. You want to avoid beating air into the mixture. Too much air will make the cheesecake fall.

Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared graham cracker crust, using the back of a spoon to spread evenly over the crust (this helps get rid of any extra air bubbles).

Place cheesecake in center of middle oven rack. Position a baking pan filled halfway with hot water on lower rack. Bake 15 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake another 70 minutes or until edges are light brown and center is almost set. NOTE: There should be no wet spots or liquid areas in the center of the cheesecake. Remember that a cheesecake continues to cook when it is removed from the oven.

Turn oven off. Let cake stand in oven, with door ajar, 30 minutes or until center is completely set.

Put it in the fridge for at least 5 hours before serving.

• #2,128
hypatia said:
From the Thanksgiving thread, for Monique.
Ooooh! Yummy! I've never made American cheesecake before, I'm definitely going to try this recipe. I'll just need to make sure that I find the right cheese, but I'll probably be able to find it.

• #2,129
Monique said:
Ooooh! Yummy! I've never made American cheesecake before, I'm definitely going to try this recipe. I'll just need to make sure that I find the right cheese, but I'll probably be able to find it.

According to Wiki, Julia Child suggests that cream cheese can substitute for petit suisse, so perhaps the substitution may work in the other direction.

• #2,130
lisab said:
According to Wiki, Julia Child suggests that cream cheese can substitute for petit suisse, so perhaps the substitution may work in the other direction.
petit suisse really is not close to cream cheese in flavor. I have no idea if it could hold up texturally in a cheesecake recipe, perhaps. I guess it would be similar to substituting cottage cheese for ricotta, or sour cream for creme fraiche or mascarpone

I love petit suisse. It's like a thick yoghurt, usually sold in little tubs, I've always had it mixed with sugar. It will hold it's shape somewhat after it is pushed out of its tub, but the water starts separating, see the wiki picture. Always eaten raw, I'm still looking for references to cooking it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_suisse_(cheese))

Edit: :rofl: here is a British recipe for cheesecake

8 oz digestive biscuits
2 oz butter
1½ lb cheese (curd or a mixture of cream and cottage)
8 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)

Monique, do you have Neufchatel cheese? You can use that. I often use Neufchatel as a low fat substitute for cream cheese. I have a half pound of it in my fridge right now, completely forgot about it.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cheesecake-Cooking-Styles&id=1303521

• #2,131
Evo said:
petit suisse really is not close to cream cheese in flavor. I have no idea if it could hold up texturally in a cheesecake recipe, perhaps. I guess it would be similar to substituting cottage cheese for ricotta, or sour cream for creme fraiche or mascarpone

I love petit suisse. It's like a thick yoghurt, usually sold in little tubs, I've always had it mixed with sugar. It will hold it's shape somewhat after it is pushed out of its tub, but the water starts separating, see the wiki picture. Always eaten raw, I'm still looking for references to cooking it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_suisse_(cheese )

Ah...well if it can't be used for cooking, it's definitely out. Perhaps we can bring Monique some American cream cheese in April :smile:.

• #2,132
lisab said:
Ah...well if it can't be used for cooking, it's definitely out. Perhaps we can bring Monique some American cream cheese in April :smile:.
I have all of these british recipes calling for their double cream, and we have nothing like it.

Oh well, kurdt will have the PF retirement castle for us someday and we can stock the pantry with a bit of everything. Although "digestive biscuits" doesn't sound so great. :yuck:

• #2,133
I had one of those custom restaurant aged filet mignons from my meat connection tonight. I only used a fork to eat it, it was so tender, I did not need a knife, unbelievable. Like "buttah".

I seared it on the stove at medium high heat for 2 minutes on each side, seared the edges, rotating it with my tongs, then finished it for 4 minutes in a 375F oven. It was 2 inches thick. It was rare, cook it for 6 minutes in the oven if you want it medium. If you like it cooked more than medium, don't waste your money, go to McDonalds and buy a Big Mac.

Last edited:
  • #2,134
Evo said:
I have all of these british recipes calling for their double cream, and we have nothing like it.
Whipping cream (not whippED cream) is probably the closest

• #2,135
mgb_phys said:
Whipping cream (not whippED cream) is probably the closest

Maybe "double cream" is what we call "heavy cream"?