What causes the sound to become louder in a tuning fork experiment?

In summary, the final part of the experiment involves cutting a hole in a piece of cardboard and striking a tuning fork while moving it over the opening. The sound becomes louder when the fork is held close to the surface of the cardboard and is loudest directly over the opening. The cause of this increase in sound could potentially be due to diffraction, as the sound wave spreads out and creates vibrations across a greater surface area. Another possibility is that the cardboard is resonating in sympathy and acting as a sounding board. Further experimentation and data collection may be needed to determine the exact cause of the increased sound.
bhoul

Homework Statement

This is the final part of an experiment involving a tuning fork - the instructions say to cut a hole in a piece of cardboard (half an inch wide by the length of the tine) And then it just asks to strike the tuning fork and move it over the opening. We need to describe what happens and explain why it happens.

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I did this, the sound became louder as it was moved over the opening. I noticed that the sound would be louder if you held it anywhere close to the surface of the cardboard, but it was loudest directly over the opening.

I'm not really sure what causes the sound to become louder though. The only concept that I knew beforehand that involved sound waves traveling through an opening like this is diffraction. Part of me thinks that could be the explanation, but I haven't been able to figure out if diffraction applies directly to this scenario. My thinking is that the diffraction causes the sound wave to spread out thus creating vibrations across a greater surface area. Am I on the right track with this idea that diffraction is the cause, or should I look for a more relevant reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess the cardboard is resonating in sympathy and acting as a sounding board. E.g. it may be that the two edges of the slot are vibrating towards and away from the fork. If so, seems to me that they would need to be 180o out of phase, which suggests the fork should not be directly over the slot but offset a little to one side (so that the distances from the tines to the slot edges are a half wavelength different). But I'm not at all confident of that analysis.
Are you able to repeat the experiment and collect more precise data? Maybe touch one side of the slot to detect/inhibit vibrations.

1. What is a tuning fork experiment?

A tuning fork experiment is a scientific experiment used to demonstrate the concept of resonance. A tuning fork is a metal tool that produces a specific frequency when struck. By placing the tuning fork on a surface, the vibrations produced by the fork can be transferred to the surface, causing it to vibrate at the same frequency. This can be observed by placing small particles on the surface, which will move or form patterns in response to the vibrations.

2. How is a tuning fork experiment set up?

To set up a tuning fork experiment, you will need a tuning fork, a hard surface, and small particles such as sand or salt. Place the tuning fork on the surface and strike it against a hard object. Then, observe the vibrations produced by the fork and the movement of the particles on the surface.

3. What is the purpose of a tuning fork experiment?

The purpose of a tuning fork experiment is to demonstrate the concept of resonance and how vibrations can be transferred from one object to another. It also helps to explain how sound waves travel through different mediums, as the vibrations of the tuning fork can be felt and observed on the surface.

4. What are some real-world applications of a tuning fork experiment?

Tuning fork experiments have several real-world applications. They are commonly used in the field of music to tune instruments and in the medical field to test hearing and nerve function. They are also used in the manufacturing of electronic devices to test for vibrations and resonance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when conducting a tuning fork experiment?

Although tuning fork experiments are generally safe, it is important to handle the tuning fork with care as its tines can be sharp. Also, be mindful of the surface on which the tuning fork is placed, as it may vibrate and cause objects to fall. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when using the tuning fork in industrial or medical settings.