What 'Collapses' the Wavefunction of the Universe?

In summary, the author criticizes the Copenhagen interpretation for requiring an observer outside the universe, and the book discusses the heroic status of Einstein in this debate.
Ghost117
Hi all,

I would like some thoughts on the following quote I read from a book on the history of QM: "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, And the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality." Please restrict your consideration to the Bohr/Heisenberg 'Copenhagen' interpretation (I realize in other interpretations, the wavefunction is real and/or there is no collapse):

"The Copenhagen interpretation requires an observer outside the universe to observe it, but since there is none - leaving God aside - the universe should never come into existence, but remain forever in a superposition of many possibilities. This is the long-standing measurement problem writ large. Schrodinger's equation that describes quantum reality as a superposition of possibilities, and attaches a range or probabilities to each possibility, does not include the act of measurement. There are no observers in the mathematics of quantum mechanics." p357

Is the quote above from the author an accurate implication of the Copenhagen interpretation? Or has the author missed something? (His bio states that he has degrees in physics and philosophy, and the book has very good reviews.)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like nonsense to me. Who says that the origin of the universe has to be the result of a measurement? I'm not aware that QM has anything to say about the origin of the universe, only how it works now that it's here.

Likes durant35, bhobba and fresh_42
Ghost117 said:
Is the quote above from the author an accurate implication of the Copenhagen interpretation?

I don't think so, since AFAIK the Copenhagen interpretation implicitly assumes that QM cannot be applied to the universe as a whole. Applying QM to the universe as a whole is something that the "no collapse" interpretations like the MWI do.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
I don't think so, since AFAIK the Copenhagen interpretation implicitly assumes that QM cannot be applied to the universe as a whole. Applying QM to the universe as a whole is something that the "no collapse" interpretations like the MWI do.

I think that is exactly what the author is alluding to, but in the form of a critique of Copenhagen. Because without this "implicit assumption" that you pointed out, the "wavefunction collapse" in Copenhagen does indeed imply that an observer outside the universe is required... right? That's my understanding at least...

To provide more context: The book does seem to hold Einstein's side of the debate as sort of heroic... This is why I think the quote I provided from the book is actually a critique of Copenhagen...

Ghost117 said:
without this "implicit assumption" that you pointed out, the "wavefunction collapse" in Copenhagen does indeed imply that an observer outside the universe is required... right?

Without the implicit assumption, the Copenhagen interpretation isn't coherent, as far as I can tell. The Copenhagen interpretation basically says you can't use QM to describe everything; there must always be some things ("measuring devices"--things that can collapse wavefunctions) that are classical, not quantum. But if you can't use QM to describe everything, then obviously you can't use it to describe the whole universe. So from the standpoint of the Copenhagen interpretation, the author's statement that it "requires an observer outside the universe to observe it" is simply wrong; that's not what Copenhagen says. It says the idea of using QM to describe the universe as a whole is meaningless to begin with.

Ghost117 said:
This is why I think the quote I provided from the book is actually a critique of Copenhagen...

It might be, but that doesn't mean it's accurately describing what Copenhagen actually says.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
Without the implicit assumption, the Copenhagen interpretation isn't coherent, as far as I can tell. The Copenhagen interpretation basically says you can't use QM to describe everything; there must always be some things ("measuring devices"--things that can collapse wavefunctions) that are classical, not quantum. But if you can't use QM to describe everything, then obviously you can't use it to describe the whole universe. So from the standpoint of the Copenhagen interpretation, the author's statement that it "requires an observer outside the universe to observe it" is simply wrong; that's not what Copenhagen says. It says the idea of using QM to describe the universe as a whole is meaningless to begin with.
It might be, but that doesn't mean it's accurately describing what Copenhagen actually says.

Understood, thanks for clarifying the issue :)

PeroK said:
Sounds like nonsense to me. Who says that the origin of the universe has to be the result of a measurement? I'm not aware that QM has anything to say about the origin of the universe, only how it works now that it's here.

Absolutely.

1. Collapse is not part of the formalism of QM because we have quite a few interpretations where it isn't present eg many worlds.

2. Why does the universe need collapsing? Now there is a genuine issue here, but collapse isn't it. Its quantum state and preparation procedures are pretty much synonymous there days in modern QM treatments like Ballentine - what prepared the universe?

Thanks
Bill

PeterDonis said:

Yes. That's why we have a number of modern interpretations specifically designed to get around that issue. Everything is obviously quantum - there should be no quantum/classical cut as required by Copenhagen. It doesn't prove Copenhagen wrong or anything like that, but its a blemish best done away with. A number are around, Many Worlds, DBB, GRW and Consistent Histories to name a few.

To the OP if you want to get on top of this stuff you need to study a modern interpretation. Just purely as a start, and in no way singling it out as any better than any other, you might like to look into Consistent Histories:
http://quantum.phys.cmu.edu/CHS/histories.html

But studying any interpretation helps in understanding QM - you should study a few.

As you learn more about QM THE book on interpretations in general is by Schlosshauer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540357734/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Likes Ghost117
bhobba said:
To the OP if you want to get on top of this stuff you need to study a modern interpretation. Just purely as a start, and in no way singling it out as any better than any other, you might like to look into Consistent Histories:

I'm personally in favor of the deBroglie/Bohm Pilot Wave model. From the research I've done on all the interpretations so far, that's the one that seems most sound to me. I'm planning on studying it in more depth once I get through Griffiths Intro to QM. I definitely also like the decoherence attempts, bridging the QM/Classical boundary... Will get into more depth on the foundations once I get past the introductory textbooks.

PeroK said:
Sounds like nonsense to me.
I'm not aware that QM has anything to say about the origin of the universe,
only how it works now that it's here.

Quantum Cosmology.

------
Hugh Everett III
"If we try to limit the applicability ... in general systems of macroscopic size, we are faced with the difficulty of sharply defining the region of validity.

physika said:
Quantum Cosmology.

------
Hugh Everett III
"If we try to limit the applicability so as to exclude the measuring apparatus, or in general systems of macroscopic size, we are faced with the difficulty of sharply defining the region of validity. For what n might a group of n particles be construed as forming a measuring device so that the quantum description fails?".

That's a non sequitur if ever there was one!

Ghost117 said:
Hi all,

I would like some thoughts on the following quote I read from a book on the history of QM: "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, And the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality." Please restrict your consideration to the Bohr/Heisenberg 'Copenhagen' interpretation (I realize in other interpretations, the wavefunction is real and/or there is no collapse):

"The Copenhagen interpretation requires an observer outside the universe to observe it, but since there is none - leaving God aside - the universe should never come into existence, but remain forever in a superposition of many possibilities. This is the long-standing measurement problem writ large. Schrodinger's equation that describes quantum reality as a superposition of possibilities, and attaches a range or probabilities to each possibility, does not include the act of measurement. There are no observers in the mathematics of quantum mechanics." p357

Is the quote above from the author an accurate implication of the Copenhagen interpretation? Or has the author missed something? (His bio states that he has degrees in physics and philosophy, and the book has very good reviews.)

Thanks

Having reread this, it is nonsense for a number of reasons that reveal the author's shaky understanding of QM.

First, QM does not postulate that things only come into existence when measured. An electron (or a universe) exists whether it gets measured or not. "Existence" itself is not an observable.

Second, he makes the beginner's mistake about a system being in superposition before a measurement and in a "definite" state after. Systems are always in a superposition of states. After a measurement, they are in an eigenstate of the measured quantity, but still in a superposition of the eigenstates of all incompatible observables.

Third, something that doesn't exist can't be in a superposition of any states! I think this is another beginner's mistake that while in superposition things are in an "existential limbo".

It's extraordinary that people who understand so little can write a book about it!

PeterDonis said:

While I agree with you, there are variants of Copenhagen that are compatible with describing the universe as a whole - if collapse is induced by decoherence so the measuring devices that you mentioned are just systems with many degrees of freedom.

PeroK said:
It's extraordinary that people who understand so little can write a book about it!

Well in fairness, it's just a history book, not a technical critique. Most of the remarks he provides are just sourced from letters and papers etc. by the physicists involved at the time. This particular remark came from the author himself which is why I wanted to verify it's accuracy.

Ghost117 said:
your question is:

what changes the linearity of the superposition of the wave function of the universe ?

and just forget the copenhagen rattle out.

physika said:
your question is:

what changes the linearity of the superposition of the wave function of the universe ?

and just forget the copenhagen rattle out.

Not really, that would be assuming a universal wavefunction exists... That isn't the question.

The question was in the context of the C. Interpretation, and the idea as presented by the author, that if we remove the arbitrary distinction between quantum/classical, then there would be a universal wavefunction, requiring collapse from an outside observer, and if that conclusion is correct or not.

The answers by members here indicate that this is an invalid question, because that distinction in inherent in the interpretation... which is why it's just an "interpretation", and that is fair. It still doesn't answer the criticism of the interpretation, but that's another matter entirely.

Ghost117 said:
Is the quote above from the author an accurate implication of the Copenhagen interpretation? Or has the author missed something?

Hi Ghost117

Please read Julian Barbour's The End of Time. After reading it, you will return here and be able to answer your own question.

The idea that there is a 'wavefunction of the universe' can be questioned. It's a consequence of presupposing unitary-only evolution, and nobody can say for sure that this holds, even though Hugh Everett made it popular.
On the other hand, if there is genuine physical collapse, as in the transactional interpretation, then an avenue opens to get classical emergence from the collapse process (since the collapse yields a classical probability space, as discussed here (https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.08734). This would explain why the macroscopic world of experience (and continuing on to cosmological levels) does not require a Hilbert Space description. An overview of this is presented in my books.
For an intro to the basic ideas and current state of research: https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.00660

Likes Ghost117
Assuming finite periodic boundary conditions for the time axis, the Big Bang would be more than adequate to decisively collapse the wavefunction of the universe once an eon.

Is it clear that a given system even has a pure wave function unless it's been prepared? I can see no way within the rules to make that determination prior to measurement.

PeroK said:
First, QM does not postulate that things only come into existence when measured. An electron (or a universe) exists whether it gets measured or not. "Existence" itself is not an observable.
The Copenhagen interpretation does not make claims about existence at all, beyond the classical part. If the electron exists before the state preparation, which is done by some measurement, it does not even have a wave function, it has nothing. Maybe it exists, maybe not, this is nothing the Copenhagen interpretation cares about.

Of course, the quoted text is sloppy. The aim was to formulate the problem in a short simple sentence, not to formulate a theorem with mathematical scrutiny. I think to do some nitpicking and then name this "beginner's mistake" does not make sense.

Likes Ghost117

1. What is the wavefunction of the universe?

The wavefunction of the universe is a mathematical representation of all possible states and outcomes of the universe. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior and interactions of particles and energy at the most fundamental level.

2. What does it mean for the wavefunction to collapse?

The collapse of the wavefunction refers to the sudden reduction of all the possible states and outcomes to a single observed state. This occurs when a measurement or observation is made on a quantum system, causing it to "choose" one specific state out of all the possibilities.

3. What causes the collapse of the wavefunction?

The cause of wavefunction collapse is still a topic of debate and research in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that the act of observation by a conscious observer causes the collapse, while others propose that interactions with the environment or other particles may play a role.

4. Does the wavefunction of the universe collapse?

It is currently unknown if the wavefunction of the entire universe collapses in the same way as individual quantum systems. Some theories suggest that the universe may be in a superposition of multiple states, while others propose that it behaves classically at a larger scale and does not experience wavefunction collapse.

5. What are the implications of the wavefunction collapse for the universe?

The collapse of the wavefunction has significant implications for our understanding of reality and the fundamental laws of physics. It challenges our traditional notions of cause and effect, and raises questions about the role of consciousness and observation in shaping the universe.