What device to read electronic books?

In summary, a tablet with a good brightness screen will be better for reading scientific PDF documents.
RaamGeneral
Hello.

I'm studying physics for two years now and I have never bought a book [thanks to professor's notes, free and "free" books on the web].
I got tired of using the laptop, so I need something to read ebooks (pdf and djvu mainly and also epub).
Is it better for this purpose an ebook reader or a tablet?
Can you recommend something?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are reading technical texts you need a tablet, because you will need to refer back and forth often to look up theorems and definitions that are quoted. Doing that is too slow on an ebook reader, which have slower processors (to prolong battery life) and slower page rendering technology.

ebook readers are great for reading novels, or anything else that can be read linearly with not much referring back and forth. The big advantages of ebook readers are that the battery lasts enormously longer, that they can be read in bright sunlight, they are less tiring on the eyes and they are less of a thief-magnet.

I read mathematical papers on a tablet, but novels, essays and humanities papers on an ebook reader.

If one wants to have only one device, then it has to be a tablet, and one has to just put up with having to charge it every day and not being able to enjoy reading it in a sunny garden, beach or park.

Likes Psinter and Sophia
Also note: most ebook devices I know are poor at displaying pdf documents, and these dominate science publications.

I agree with the posts above. I would strongly recommend Kindle for novels, but reading PDFs on it is awful so I wouldn't buy it for your purposes.
Definitely go for tablet or ereaders specifically developed for reading scientific PDF documents. I saw such devices when I was searching for an ereader but it was quite a long time ago and I forgot what brand it was.

I agree with andrewkirk.

Another note is that if in the end you decide to go with a tablet, be sure to choose one with a good bright display if you are planning on using it in sunlit areas. Check this out:
http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm

The devices mentioned there are a little old, but it may guide you to choose a proper tablet if you decide to go with one and if it is that you are planning to use it on bright places. I tell you because by experience, some tablets have terrible screens that reflect a lot of light. Mine is like an opaque mirror.

You can search for the keywords: "tablet screen brightness" to get multiple results about specifications and recommendations on different websites.

1. What is the best device to read electronic books?

The best device to read electronic books is subjective and depends on personal preferences. Some popular options include dedicated e-readers like Kindle, Nook, and Kobo, tablets like iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab, and smartphones with e-reader apps like Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books.

2. What features should I look for in an e-reader?

When choosing an e-reader, consider the display type (e-ink or LCD), screen size, resolution, storage capacity, battery life, and compatibility with different file formats. Some e-readers also have additional features like adjustable lighting, waterproof design, and audio capability.

3. Can I read books from different sources on one e-reader?

Most e-readers are compatible with different file formats, including EPUB, MOBI, and PDF. This allows you to read books from various sources, such as public libraries, online bookstores, and personal files. However, some e-readers are limited to specific file formats, so make sure to check before purchasing.

4. Do I need a Wi-Fi connection to read e-books on my e-reader?

No, you do not need a Wi-Fi connection to read e-books on most e-readers. Once you have downloaded the e-book onto your device, you can read it offline. However, if you want to purchase e-books from online bookstores or access additional features like dictionary and translation, a Wi-Fi connection is required.

5. Can I borrow e-books from my local library on an e-reader?

Yes, you can borrow e-books from your local library on most e-readers. Many public libraries now offer e-books that can be borrowed and downloaded onto your device for a limited time. Check with your library for more information on their e-book lending program and compatible devices.