What did i do wrong in my integration?

In summary, you should use trig substitution when you see a product of somekind (hint: |f(x)dx can be considered a product of f(x) and dx). Also, partial fractions is an advantageous way to rewrite a function in an easier-to-integrate form.
dnt

Homework Statement

(dont know how to make the integral sign so bare with me please)

i will use | to signify the integral sign:

here is my problem:

|(sinx)(cos)dx

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

ok this is what i did:

first i changed it to (1/2)sin2x because sin2x=2sinxcosx

so now i have:

|(1/2)sin2xdx

then i said u = 2x and du=2dx

so now i have:

|(1/4)sinudu

which is:

(1/4)(-cos u) + C

which is:

(1/4)(-cos2x) + C

where is my error?

also, can someone give me a brief overview of the best strategy to figure out what type of integration to use? what do you look for to know when to use trig substituion, integration by parts, u-substitution, etc...

ie, how do you know? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
let u = sin x. then du = cos x dx.

Integration is just experience. You just need to practice.

Alternatively, since you know the integral of sinx=-cosx, you should know that the integral of sin(nx)=-cos(nx)/n

I had the exact same problem when I started integration, there really is no "trick" to know what type of integration to use. It all comes with ALOT of practice. Eventually you will just recognize things and you'll know what type of integration to use.

dnt said:
also, can someone give me a brief overview of the best strategy to figure out what type of integration to use? what do you look for to know when to use trig substituion, integration by parts, u-substitution, etc...

ie, how do you know? thanks.

There are general tips you can use.

If you have a square root in the function of the form sqrt(a-x^2), sqrt(a+x^2), or sqrt(x^2-a), each has a different trig substitution.
You use substitution to create a square trig function which will undo the root.

By parts is best used if nothing is obvious (can't be more vague than that :P). Specifically if one part of the function is easily integratable (eg e^x, sin(x)).
Use byparts when you see a product of somekind (hint: |f(x)dx can be considered a product of f(x) and dx)

Partial fractions is merely an algebraic method for rewriting a function in an easier-to-integrate form. You largely only use this if you see a rational expression of one polynomial divided by another. (it may be particularly advantageous is the degree of the numerator > degree of denominator)

substitution is useful if you see a function and it's derivative in the same function (eg: |ln(x)/x dx) But most times substitution can be done by inspection.

What ChaoticLlama said is pretty good, but you'll learn those over practice as well. Only thing I have to add is Trig substitution is only good if you can do trigonometric integrals as well. I can always get it down to the trig integral, which is the aim, but i can't solve that one at the end..

IMDerek said:
let u = sin x. then du = cos x dx.

Integration is just experience. You just need to practice.

i should have added that i do know what the correct answer is and i knew how to get it. my question was in what step of my above work is wrong? i can't find it yet i know it comes out incorrect.

dnt said:
i should have added that i do know what the correct answer is and i knew how to get it. my question was in what step of my above work is wrong? i can't find it yet i know it comes out incorrect.

I don't think it is, expand the double angle formula for cosine and I think you will find that your solution is equivalent to the other.

What makes you think you have an error?

Yes, the way most people would integrate [itex]\int sin(x)cos(x)dx[/itex] would be to let u= sin(x) so du= cos(x)dx and the integral becomes [itex]\int udu= \frac{1}{2}u^2+ C= \frac{1}{2}sin^2(x)+ C[/itex]

But it is perfectly correct that sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x) so that [itex]\int sin(x)cos(x)dx= \frac{1}{2}\int sin(2x)dx= \frac{1}{4}cos(2x)+ C'[/itex].

Have you considered the possibility that
[tex]\frac{1}{4}cos(2x)+ C'= \frac{1}{2}sin^2(x)+ C[/tex]
possibly with different values for C and C'?

Since you used sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x) you might consider now using
cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2= 1- 2sin2(x).

Last edited by a moderator:
dnt said:

Homework Statement

/snip

You look at the answer and go :confused: You look at your answer and theirs again, and realize it's entirely equivalent because of the double angle formulas, I've been their :biggrin:

:eek:

Last edited:

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration refers to the process of combining different parts or components into a whole. In science, it often refers to the incorporation of new information or ideas into existing knowledge. It is important because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a subject and can lead to new discoveries and advancements.

2. How do I know if I made a mistake in my integration?

If you are unsure whether you made a mistake in your integration, it is best to double-check your work and consult with peers or experts in the field. Look for inconsistencies or gaps in your reasoning and make sure all sources are properly cited. It is also important to be open to constructive criticism and feedback.

3. Can mistakes in integration be fixed?

Yes, mistakes in integration can be fixed. It is important to identify the mistake and understand why it occurred. This will allow you to make necessary corrections and improve your integration. Keep in mind that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and can lead to a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes in my integration?

To avoid mistakes in integration, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the topic you are integrating. Make sure all sources are reliable and properly cited. Take your time and carefully consider how the new information fits into your existing knowledge. It can also be helpful to get feedback from peers or experts in the field.

5. What should I do if my integration conflicts with existing knowledge?

If your integration conflicts with existing knowledge, it is important to critically evaluate your own work and the existing knowledge. Consider alternative explanations and potential flaws in your integration. You may also need to consult with experts in the field for further guidance. Remember to approach conflicting ideas with an open mind and be willing to revise your integration if necessary.