What did I do wrong? (Newton's Second Law)

In summary, the problem involves a 500N ball being pushed down a 24° decline starting at 1 m/s and ending at 32 m/s. Using the equations F = ma, Fg = mag, a = μkg, and vi = √(vf2 - (2ad)), the coefficient and force of kinetic friction and applied force are calculated to be μk = .000040775 and F = .002N respectively. However, the accuracy of these calculations is questionable and may contain errors.
glenohumeral13

Homework Statement

(This is a problem I made up, so if the problem is with the problem, let me know.)
A 500N ball is being pushed down a carpeted decline of 24° to the horizontal. It starts from 1 m/s and ends the 20 foot (6.1 m) decline at 32 m/s. What is the coefficient and force of kinetic friction and applied force?

Homework Equations

I used:
Fg = mag, F = ma, a = μkg, and vi = √(vf2 - (2ad)).

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg = mag
50N = m(9.81)
m = 5kg
vi = √(vf2 - (2ad))
1 = √(322 - 2a(6.1))
1 = √(1024 - 12.2a)
1 = √(1011.8a)
1 = 38√(a)
1/38 = √(a)
.022 = a
a = .0004 m/s2
F = ma
F = 5*.0004
F = .002N
a = μkg
.0004 = μk(9.81)
μk = .000040775

Physics news on Phys.org
Does that value for "a" seem reasonable to you?

I know the equation as...

vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

2ad = vf2 - vi2

a = (vf2 - vi2)/2d

a = (1024 - 1) / (2*6.1)
= 84m/s2

PS: It may not be your only error. I haven't checked.

CWatters said:
Does that value for "a" seem reasonable to you?

I know the equation as...

vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

2ad = vf2 - vi2

a = (vf2 - vi2)/2d

a = (1024 - 1) / (2*6.1)
= 84m/s2
Thanks.

It seems like you have made a few errors in your calculations. First, when calculating the mass of the ball, you used the force of gravity (Fg) instead of the weight (W = mg). This would give you a mass of 50 kg instead of 5 kg. Additionally, in your attempt at a solution, you used the wrong formula for the initial velocity (vi). Instead of using the equation for final velocity (vf), you should use the equation vi = √(vf2 - 2ad), since the ball starts from rest. This would give you a value of vi = 31.9 m/s, which is close to the given value of 32 m/s.

Next, when solving for the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk), you used the acceleration (a) instead of the coefficient of friction (μk) in your equation. The correct equation should be μk = a/g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2). This would give you a value of μk = 0.0000408, which is close to your value of 0.000040775.

Finally, when calculating the applied force, you used the incorrect mass of 5 kg instead of the correct mass of 50 kg. Therefore, the correct value of the applied force would be F = ma = 50 * 0.0004 = 0.02 N.

In summary, it seems like you made a few mistakes in your calculations. It is important to double check your equations and make sure you are using the correct values and formulas. Keep practicing and you will improve your understanding of Newton's Second Law. Good luck!

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller its acceleration will be.

2. How does Newton's Second Law relate to what I did wrong?

Newton's Second Law explains the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. If you are asking what you did wrong in a situation where you were trying to move an object, it could be that you did not apply enough force or that the object had a greater mass than you expected, resulting in a smaller acceleration.

3. Can Newton's Second Law be used to predict the motion of an object?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be used to predict the motion of an object. By knowing the force acting on the object and its mass, you can calculate its acceleration and predict how it will move.

4. Is Newton's Second Law always applicable?

Newton's Second Law is a fundamental law of physics and is always applicable in situations involving the motion of objects. However, in certain extreme scenarios, such as the movement of objects at very high speeds or in very small scales, the law may need to be modified to accurately predict the motion of objects.

5. How is Newton's Second Law different from Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's Second Law, on the other hand, explains how an object's motion changes when a force is applied to it. It describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, while the First Law is more focused on the concept of inertia.