What did I do wrong? (Newton's Second Law)

In summary, the problem involves a 3.0 kg body with two horizontal forces acting on it, one being 9.0N due east and the other being 8N at an angle of 62 degrees north of west. The magnitude of the body's acceleration is found using the equation Fnet= ma, with a result of 2.9. However, the solution takes into account the vertical acceleration as well, leading to a final answer of 4.25. The confusion arises from the phrasing in the book, which specifies one-dimensional motion but also includes an angled force. This inconsistency is acknowledged by the speaker as "dumb".
th77
Only two horizontal forces act on a 3.0 kg body. One force is 9.0N, acting due east, and the othr is 8N, acting 62 degrees north of west. What is the magnitude of the body's acceleration?
Fnet= ma ...so I took that to mean F1x + F2x = ma
F1x = 9 cos 0 = 9
f2x = 8 cos 62 = 3.76
a = (9 + 3.76)/3 = 4.25
The solution says 2.9

Physics news on Phys.org
East and west are opposite directions. What does that tell you?

I think it tells me that it should be F1 - F2 instead. If yes then

a = (9 - 3.76)/3 = 1.75

It still doesn't come to 2.9

Oops, sorry to mislead you a bit.
The MAGNITUDE of the acceleration evidently includes the contribution from the VERTICAL acceleration the body also expriences.
That is, you are to find [itex]a=\sqrt{a_{x}^{2}+a_{y}^{2}}[/itex]

You're right because I got the answer using it, but I don't know why. The problem says that only 2 'horizontal' forces act on the object. Why is the vertical involved? I know F2 is making an angle, but then what do they mean by horizontal forces? Shouldn't it just say 'forces'? I have a sample problem in the book that specifies there is one-dimensional motion yet 1 of the forces is making an angle.

th77 said:
You're right because I got the answer using it, but I don't know why. The problem says that only 2 'horizontal' forces act on the object. Why is the vertical involved? I know F2 is making an angle, but then what do they mean by horizontal forces? Shouldn't it just say 'forces'? I have a sample problem in the book that specifies there is one-dimensional motion yet 1 of the forces is making an angle.
The phrasing in the book is just dumb, that's all there is to it.

thanks for your help

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How does Newton's Second Law relate to "What did I do wrong?"

Newton's Second Law can help explain why an object may not be behaving as expected. If the acceleration is not what was predicted, it could be due to an incorrect application of force or an incorrect measurement of mass.

What are some common mistakes made when applying Newton's Second Law?

Some common mistakes include not taking into account all of the forces acting on the object, not properly calculating the net force, and not considering the mass of the object.

What are some tips for correctly applying Newton's Second Law?

To correctly apply Newton's Second Law, it is important to identify and consider all of the forces acting on the object, properly calculate the net force, and accurately measure the mass of the object.

How can I check if I have applied Newton's Second Law correctly?

You can check your calculations and measurements to ensure that the acceleration you have calculated matches the actual acceleration of the object. If they do not match, it may indicate an error in your application of Newton's Second Law.