1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean to find a formula as a function of temperature

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1
    What does it mean to find a formula as a function of temperatue? Could I have an example so that I can find a formula for the following question as a function of temperature?

Question: Experimental measurements of the heat capacity of aluminum at low temperatures (below about 50K) can be fit to the formula Cv=aT +bT^3, where Cv is the heat capacity of one mole of aluminum and the constants a and b are approximately a =0.00135 J/K^2 and b=2.48 x 10^-5 J/K^4. From this data, find a formula for the entropy of mole of aluminum as a function of temperture.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2
    Will someone please help me?

Will someone help me with the question I asked? It's due tomorrow.
  4. Feb 23, 2004 #3
    Finding a formula as a function of temperature means that you will have an equation of the form:

[tex]E = f(T)[/tex]

Where E (in the case of the question you were asked) would be the dependent variable, the "output," you could say, and f(T) is some function where T is the independent variable, the "input," you could say. Also, since you're finding E as a function of only T, then all other parts of f(T) must be either constant or also a function of T.

For instance, [itex]E = \sigma T^4[/itex] is a function of only T if [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a constant (note: this is not the equation you're looking for), whereas [itex]z = x^2 + y^2[/itex] is a function of x and y, but not T and not only x or only y.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  5. Feb 24, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, to "a function as a function of temperature" doesn't mean anything and your problem doesn't say that. You are asked to find the entropy as a function of temperature. That simply means to write down a formula in which the variable is temperature and the result of the formula is entropy.

Since you are given "Cv=aT +bT^3", which is "heat capacity", and you are given a and b for this particular experiment. Do you know any formula that connects entropy and heat capacity? If you do, replace Cv in that formula with aT+ bT^3.
  6. Feb 24, 2004 #5
    Sorry. Poor wording. I was trying to mimic jlmac2001's and I ended up throwing one too many "function"s and one too few "formula"s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?