What does it mean to find a formula as a function of temperature

In summary, it means that you will need to find an equation of the form:E = f(T)Where E (in the case of the question you were asked) would be the dependent variable, the "output," you could say, and f(T) is some function where T is the independent variable, the "input," you could say. Also, since you're finding E as a function of only T, then all other parts of f(T) must be either constant or also a function of T.
jlmac2001
What does it mean to find a formula as a function of temperatue? Could I have an example so that I can find a formula for the following question as a function of temperature?

Question: Experimental measurements of the heat capacity of aluminum at low temperatures (below about 50K) can be fit to the formula Cv=aT +bT^3, where Cv is the heat capacity of one mole of aluminum and the constants a and b are approximately a =0.00135 J/K^2 and b=2.48 x 10^-5 J/K^4. From this data, find a formula for the entropy of mole of aluminum as a function of temperture.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will someone please help me?

Will someone help me with the question I asked? It's due tomorrow.

Finding a formula as a function of temperature means that you will have an equation of the form:

[tex]E = f(T)[/tex]

Where E (in the case of the question you were asked) would be the dependent variable, the "output," you could say, and f(T) is some function where T is the independent variable, the "input," you could say. Also, since you're finding E as a function of only T, then all other parts of f(T) must be either constant or also a function of T.

For instance, [itex]E = \sigma T^4[/itex] is a function of only T if [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a constant (note: this is not the equation you're looking for), whereas [itex]z = x^2 + y^2[/itex] is a function of x and y, but not T and not only x or only y.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
Actually, to "a function as a function of temperature" doesn't mean anything and your problem doesn't say that. You are asked to find the entropy as a function of temperature. That simply means to write down a formula in which the variable is temperature and the result of the formula is entropy.

Since you are given "Cv=aT +bT^3", which is "heat capacity", and you are given a and b for this particular experiment. Do you know any formula that connects entropy and heat capacity? If you do, replace Cv in that formula with aT+ bT^3.

Sorry. Poor wording. I was trying to mimic jlmac2001's and I ended up throwing one too many "function"s and one too few "formula"s.

cookiemonster

Related to What does it mean to find a formula as a function of temperature

1. What is a formula as a function of temperature?

A formula as a function of temperature is an equation that expresses the relationship between two variables, where one of the variables is temperature. The formula shows how the value of the other variable changes as temperature changes.

2. Why is it important to find a formula as a function of temperature?

Finding a formula as a function of temperature is important because it allows us to understand and predict how a certain variable will change with temperature. This information is useful in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you find a formula as a function of temperature?

To find a formula as a function of temperature, you need to collect data on the two variables and plot them on a graph. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as regression analysis to determine the relationship between the variables and create a formula that represents this relationship.

4. Can a formula as a function of temperature be used for all types of data?

No, a formula as a function of temperature can only be used for continuous data. This means that the values of the variables can take on any value within a given range. It cannot be used for discrete data, where the values can only take on specific, separate values.

5. What are some examples of formulas as functions of temperature?

Examples of formulas as functions of temperature include the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas; the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which describes the relationship between temperature and vapor pressure; and the Arrhenius equation, which shows the effect of temperature on the rate of a chemical reaction.