What does the Navier-Stokes equation look like after time discretization?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Navier Stokes Equation and a paper on the Gerris flow solver written by Prof. S.Popinet. The paper mentions a specific equation for time discretization using previous, present, and next time steps. The use of different terms at different time intervals is questioned and it is explained that it is due to the time step projection method being used. The notation of using density at time n+0.5 is also discussed.
Kukkat
Hi,

I know the general form of the Navier Stokes Equation as follows.
upload_2016-12-2_12-30-26.png

I am following a software paper of "Gerris flow solver written by Prof. S.Popinet"
[Link:http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.374.5979&rep=rep1&type=pdf]
and he mentions after time discretization he ends with the following equation:
upload_2016-12-2_12-31-35.png

where n-1 is the previous time step, n+1 is the next time step and n+0.5 is mid time for the present time step.

Solving equation implicitly/ explicitly in time means solving for next time data however in the equation there are rather two unknowns un+0.5 and
un+1.

Not sure why he uses different terms at different time intervals. Density at n+0.5, velocity at n, n-1, n+0.5 etc..

Can anyone point me or explain me how he arrives at this specific sort of discretized equation.

Likes Kaat
Engineering news on Phys.org
The link to the paper doesn't work.

I'm not familiar with this particular finite difference scheme, but presumably un+0.5 is already know when you are calculating un+1

Sorry for the link.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002199910900240X

@Chestermiller guess that's true. It is being solved by the time step projection method which means an intermediate velocity is computed and later updated to a divergence free velocity by solving the laplace of pressure term as in the mentioned paper.

The notation is a bit strange for me as he uses density at time n+0.5 without solving any advection equation. From what I see density terms at n and n+0.5 should be the same.

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of mathematical equations that describe the motion of fluid substances. It is used to model and predict the behavior of fluids such as air and water.

2. What does it mean to discretize the Navier-Stokes equation?

Discretization is the process of breaking down a continuous equation into discrete steps or intervals. In the context of the Navier-Stokes equation, it involves approximating the continuous fluid motion over a period of time into a series of smaller time steps.

3. Why is time discretization necessary for the Navier-Stokes equation?

Time discretization is necessary for the Navier-Stokes equation because it allows for more efficient and accurate computational solutions. It also helps to account for the dynamic changes in the fluid flow over time.

4. How does time discretization affect the Navier-Stokes equation?

Time discretization changes the Navier-Stokes equation from a continuous equation to a series of discrete equations that represent the fluid motion over a period of time. This allows for numerical solutions to be obtained using methods such as finite difference, finite volume, or finite element.

5. What are the different methods of time discretization used for the Navier-Stokes equation?

Some common methods of time discretization for the Navier-Stokes equation include explicit methods such as Euler's method, implicit methods such as the backward Euler method, and semi-implicit methods such as the Crank-Nicolson method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations depending on the specific problem being solved.