What Does the Output Wave Look Like in an Op-Amp with Identical Inputs?

In summary, the person is asking about the output wave of a simple op-amp circuit where an identical signal is sent into both the inverting and non-inverting inputs. They question whether there would be an output signal, and the answer is that for an ideal op-amp, there would be no output, but for real op-amps, there may be some small output due to factors such as common-mode rejection ratio and input offset voltages and currents. They are advised to check the datasheets for specific op-amps to understand these parameters and their effect on the output.
NBAJam100

Homework Statement

You have an op-amp circuit, a very simple one... All it is is a signal produced (triangle wave) from a generator that is sent into both the inverting and non inverting inputs. what does the output wave look like??

The Attempt at a Solution

Im pretty sure this is very easy and i think i am looking into it too hard... but if you send an identical signal into both noninverting and inverting inputs of an op amp, won't there be no output signal because the amp will invert the signal and add it to the normal signal sent into the non inverting for a net of 0? Or does that not matter, would i just come out as the signal times the amplification? I guess I am just not 100% sure about what inverting and non inverting do, thanks a lot guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple rule: An opamp changes the output to reduce the difference between the inputs.

So you are correct it will have no output. Actually in the real world it will immediately lock into full rail +ve or -ve output becuase it has infinite gain and there will be some tiny difference in the input!

NBAJam100 said:
Im pretty sure this is very easy and i think i am looking into it too hard... but if you send an identical signal into both noninverting and inverting inputs of an op amp, won't there be no output signal because the amp will invert the signal and add it to the normal signal sent into the non inverting for a net of 0? Or does that not matter, would i just come out as the signal times the amplification? I guess I am just not 100% sure about what inverting and non inverting do, thanks a lot guys.

For an ideal opamp, yes, the output would be zero. But for real opamps, you would need to look at the CMRR (common-mode rejection ratio), and at the input offset voltages and currents, in order to provide a complete answer. Check out the datasheets for some common opamps to read about these parameters, and then post here what you think the full answer is...

Related to What Does the Output Wave Look Like in an Op-Amp with Identical Inputs?

1. What is an OP-amp?

An OP-amp (operational amplifier) is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages and produces a corresponding output voltage. It is commonly used in a variety of electronic circuits for signal processing, amplification, and filtering.

2. How does an OP-amp work?

An OP-amp works by taking the difference between its two input terminals and amplifying it to produce an output voltage. This amplification is achieved through the use of transistors and other electronic components within the OP-amp circuit.

3. What are the applications of OP-amps?

OP-amps have a wide range of applications in electronics, including as voltage amplifiers, in filters, oscillators, and comparators. They are also commonly used in audio and video equipment, as well as in instrumentation and control systems.

4. What are the different types of OP-amps?

There are several types of OP-amps, including inverting, non-inverting, differential, instrumentation, and precision OP-amps. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is used for different applications.

5. How do I choose the right OP-amp for my circuit?

The right OP-amp for your circuit will depend on its specific requirements, such as input and output voltage ranges, bandwidth, and power supply requirements. It is important to carefully consider these specifications and choose an OP-amp that meets your circuit's needs.