Voltmeter Reading for Ohm's Law Problem

• Thread starter gex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltmeter
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an ideal voltmeter and its role in circuits. The use of Ohm's Law and KVL is mentioned in finding the solution, and the importance of using readable images or LaTeX when seeking help on forums is advised.
gex

Homework Statement

2iW6Doc

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law (V=IR)

The Attempt at a Solution

FMFlQ

These are my two attempts at getting to the solution. I'm really finding it difficult to tackle this question (our teacher gave it as an optional challenge). The provided answer on the worksheet is ɛ/2, but I have no clue how to get there. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Attempt 1.jpg
    Attempt 1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 415
  • Attempt 2.jpg
    Attempt 2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal voltmeter is one that has infinite resistance. Use KVL, the resistor to the rightmost (nearest to terminal A) is short circuited anyway, so you are left with two resistors of equal resistance.

All measuring devices conncected to a circuit adveresly effect it, ideal ones dont. Since a voltage measurement is always made parallel to elements there must not be any current flowing into the voltmeter I believe, and this is achieved by having an infinite resistance. :-)

Hi Gex,

Unfortunately your images are essentially unreadable. Please make a new thread and type out your work or provide better pictures (preferably the former). I highly recommend learning a little bit of LaTeX. It greatly helps with inserting math into your posts. We have a primer for it here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Thread locked.

1. What is a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

2. How does a voltmeter work?

A voltmeter works by using a calibrated scale and a sensitive galvanometer to measure the voltage or potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is connected in parallel to the circuit, allowing it to measure the voltage without disrupting the flow of current.

3. What unit does the voltmeter measure in?

The voltmeter measures in volts (V). However, it can also measure in millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV) depending on the range and sensitivity of the instrument.

4. How do I read a voltmeter?

A voltmeter has a scale with numbers and markings that indicate the voltage being measured. The user must first select the appropriate range, then connect the voltmeter in parallel to the circuit. The voltage can be read from the scale where the pointer or digital display points to.

5. What does the voltmeter read in a circuit with multiple batteries?

In a circuit with multiple batteries, the voltmeter will read the total voltage across all the batteries. This is because the batteries are connected in series, meaning the voltage adds up in each battery. For example, if there are two 1.5V batteries in series, the voltmeter will read 3V.